Advertisements
Blow Off Plate

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2019, 10:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Blow Off Plate

I installed a Blow Off Plate on my 07 GT (5-speed). So does it really only change the sound or are there any other benefits from the plate (letting out hot air)?
Old 08 May 2019, 07:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Blow Off Plate

I just installed the Mopar plate recently (with the replacement of my turbo cartridge) and I have not noticed any power increase.

Question though, have you noticed that your turbo spooling sound is quieter? I noticed I do not hear mine as much now... wondering if its the plate or the turbo cartridge...
Old 09 May 2019, 08:37 am
Cool Cruiser

I haven't noticed any difference in the sound of the turbo on mine. I wonder if the blow off plate should help the turbo last longer or anything?
Old 09 May 2019, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The Mopar parts guys and gals were supposed to up-sell the PT Stage 1 PCM kit customers with these BOV plates. The official line was that it would help protect the turbo and it would allow for faster shifting in the manual PT's fitted with the Stage 1 PCM. I believe there was some marketing information about this as well. There were never any official claims of a Mopar BOV adding horsepower as far as I know.

In reality, I'm not sure the Mopar BOV does anything for a turbo PT with a Mopar Stage 1 PCM except produce a cool noise. But it's cheap enough to make that okay for any turbo PT.

If you go over the to SRT4 forums where the members were much more serious about racing their cars, you can read about the actual need for a real inline BOV when using a larger turbocharger and producing a lot more boost. That's completely unnecessary on our cars at just a Mopar Stage 1 level or even a little beyond like on my PT at 15 psi of boost. If you want to know when a real BOV should be considered for a PT Cruiser, I recommend contacting Chris at Turbos Unleashed.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 May 2019 at 10:26 am.
Old 09 May 2019, 12:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The Mopar parts guys and gals were supposed to up-sell the PT Stage 1 PCM kit customers with these BOV plates. The official line was that it would help protect the turbo and it would allow for faster shifting in the manual PT's fitted with the Stage 1 PCM. I believe there was some marketing information about this as well. There were never any official claims of a Mopar BOV adding horsepower as far as I know.

In reality, I'm not sure the Mopar BOV does anything for a turbo PT with a Mopar Stage 1 PCM except produce a cool noise. But it's cheap enough to make that okay for any turbo PT.

If you go over the to SRT4 forums where the members were much more serious about racing their cars, you can read about the actual need for a real inline BOV when using a larger turbocharger and producing a lot more boost. That's completely unnecessary on our cars at just a Mopar Stage 1 level or even a little beyond like on my PT at 15 psi of boost. If you want to know when a real BOV should be considered for a PT Cruiser, I recommend contacting Chris at Turbos Unleashed.
Yeah, it does sound pretty cool Turns some heads, lol. Only thing I heard that this did was "recharge" the air and let the hot air out before going back to the turbo. Didn't know if there was anything to that though.
Old 09 May 2019, 01:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
Yeah, it does sound pretty cool Turns some heads, lol. Only thing I heard that this did was "recharge" the air and let the hot air out before going back to the turbo. Didn't know if there was anything to that though.
The regular bypass valve releases the boost pressure from the outlet (intake manifold) side of the turbocharger back to the inlet (air filter) side. Then the air just goes back through the freewheeling turbo into the engine while not in boost. There's no release to ambiant air. This silences the noise from the process and helps meet emmition laws in some states.

The Mopar blow off valve just releases boost pressure from the outlet of the turbocharger to the ambiant air.

The reason to have this kind of boost pressure release system is to avoid extremely high pressure spikes between the turbo and throttle body. When the throttle body substantially closes or shuts, all that pressurized air needs somewhere to go. Otherwise air pressure will spike and blow off the connecting hose or possibly damage the fresh-air side turbine.

As a side note, many diesel engines don't need a turbo bypass valves or BOV's because there is no throttle body. Engine speed is control by injector metering rather by air metering. As fuel is cut, the waste gate opens so the turbo freewheels stopping boost. Boost pressure just goes on through the engine because there's no closed throttle to stop it.
_PTGT03 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 May 2019 at 01:25 pm.
Old 09 May 2019, 04:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Its a neat OEM noise maker.

Even on high boosted 4 cylinder (above 30psi) there are lots of theories but little empirical data to support actually needing one.
Old 09 May 2019, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Its a neat OEM noise maker.

Even on high boosted 4 cylinder (above 30psi) there are lots of theories but little empirical data to support actually needing one.
That one would actually be easy to determine for a specific car. Just mount a boost gauge between the turbo and throttle body and record the spikes in pressure when you drop the throttle after full boost. Repeat with both the bypass valve and the blow off valve and see if there is any difference at all.

That sounds like something a semi-retired "car guy" (that sort of looks like Elton John) with lots of free time on his hands might want to do. If he then posted the result from a test like this conducted on his red 2004 PT Cruiser GT, folks on this forum might actually be impressed and even tell him so. I wonder who around here we could get to do something like this?