PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Premium vs Regular

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 May 2019, 12:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Premium vs Regular

I have noticed that my GT pings some if I take off fast. I use 87 octane. Strangely enough, it didn't start pinging until after I put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas. That was over a month ago and it still pings (only when under hard acceleration). I have read that mpg will go up with premium fuel which offsets the extra cost but I don't know if this is true. Just wondering?
Old 22 May 2019, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Premium vs Regular

If you can hear an engine "pinging" it has been doing it long before the human ear can hear it.
Many so called engine and F/I cleaners are not octane boosters and can also lead to carbon deposits.

You may simply have mileage acquired carbon deposits on your, valves and combustion chambers?

Using a higher octane fuel may not necessarily cure the problem of pinging as you are hearing.

If you are going to be running the Turbo engine aggressively you should be using high octane fuels.
Old 22 May 2019, 02:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
If you can hear an engine "pinging" it has been doing it long before the human ear can hear it.
Many so called engine and F/I cleaners are not octane boosters and can also lead to carbon deposits.

You may simply have mileage acquired carbon deposits on your, valves and combustion chambers?

Using a higher octane fuel may not necessarily cure the problem of pinging as you are hearing.

If you are going to be running the Turbo engine aggressively you should be using high octane fuels.
My car has a little over 150,000 miles on it. I rarely drive it aggressively since the majority is highway (back and forth from work)
Old 22 May 2019, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
My car has a little over 150,000 miles on it. I rarely drive it aggressively since the majority is highway (back and forth from work)
Quote:
it still pings (only when under hard acceleration).
Quote:
I try not to hotrod much at all...but sometimes I do (what is the point of the turbo if I don't get to utilize it sometimes, lol).

Hmm.... I read only what you posted..

I did forget to mention that the use of higher octane fuel will normally not increase MPG. There are exception and also needing more specific examples of what vehicle we are talking about.

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 May 2019 at 02:25 pm.
Old 22 May 2019, 02:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Hmm.... I read only what you posted..

I did forget to mention that the use of higher octane fuel will normally not increase MPG. There are exception and also needing more specific examples of what vehicle we are talking about.
I do get the boost going sometimes, but not often I may try the higher octane to see if it gets rid of the ping. Anything else I can try? What can happen if it continues to ping?
Old 22 May 2019, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I do get the boost going sometimes, but not often I may try the higher octane to see if it gets rid of the ping. Anything else I can try?
yes, run water through the intake through the large power brake hose while the engine is running controlling the engine speed manually at the throttle body to make sure the engine does not shut down.. This will FLAT KNOCK THE SHEET out of any carbon deposits.
Old 22 May 2019, 02:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

I usually run 87 in mine. It is not recommended, but I have been doing it since about 86,000 miles. You may get better mpg with super, but I don't see any way that it will offset the cost. You'd have to get about 4 mpg more just to break even. That's not happening. We have been charting mpg since the car was new and I don't think I have found even a 1 mpg difference with a change in fuel. If you care about your car and it is pinging, you'd better use the better stuff.
Old 22 May 2019, 02:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
yes, run water through the intake through the large power brake hose while the engine is running controlling the engine speed manually at the throttle body to make sure the engine does not shut down.. This will FLAT KNOCK THE SHEET out of any carbon deposits.
What are your thoughts on Sea Foam?
Old 22 May 2019, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
What are your thoughts on Sea Foam?
I no longer use it when I found out all the ingredients.

If you know of a first alert responder , you can ask them to get the complete information on that product. Normally you will NOT find it posted anywhere on the internet because of the law about proprietary ingredients.
I am not saying it would harm an engine but I do categorize it under SNAKE OIL now!

Nothing really beat good old fashion WATER for cleaning an engine inside and out. So to say. LOL
Old 22 May 2019, 03:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Would using a spray bottle directly into the throttle body work?