PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
SRT-4 Neon vs PT Cruiser GT

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 May 2019, 12:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default SRT-4 Neon vs PT Cruiser GT

I know there is a few hundred pounds difference between the PT GT and SRT4 Neon. But that still doesn't seem to be a big enough difference to justify the differences in 0-60 and quarter mile times. What else is going on? Also, I can't find any times for the stock 07 GT (5-speed)....anyone have those?
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 22 May 2019, 02:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: SRT-4 Neon vs PT Cruiser GT

It is really more about the popularity of the model and not the Neon vs PT Cruiser who goes ,faster,quicker,more power....
Comparatively speaking they are basically the same 2.4,heads,cams,and for the most part the ECU programming oh and same baby Turbo's. T

Chrysler, the PT Cruiser original target market and mostly still is NOT the same people as those who drive Neons.

When I first showed up at Sacramento Raceway with my PT Cruiser before they saw it was my PT Cruiser the tech guy who did not know me checked me in at a fast glance. WHY? because PT Cruiser.

After that first track introduction my returning trips to Sac Raceway the tech check-in was complete and took about 15 minute or more. LOL

I can say in a stock or modified stock class or for that matter ET Drags (NHRA rules) I have NEVER had a NEON EVER win over me. LOL

I am also still a (safe) STREET Racer and as such in order to have some fun light to light I de-badged my PT so the GT and Turbo emblems were off.

And yup if I think for a moment that a V-8 Charger, Camaro,Mustang,etc., might clean my clock I reach behind the passenger seat and open the Nitrous bottle!
podo2000 and ptprice like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 May 2019 at 02:05 pm.
Old 22 May 2019, 02:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

You have modded your PT which is why yours is faster. I'm asking why there is such a huge difference between stock srts and pt gts. The 04 and 05 neons are high 13 second cars bone stock. The pt gt's are in the mid 15's. I don't think the weight would make that huge of a difference.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 22 May 2019, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
You have modded your PT which is why yours is faster. I'm asking why there is such a huge difference between stock srts and pt gts. The 04 and 05 neons are high 13 second cars bone stock. The pt gt's are in the mid 15's. I don't think the weight would make that huge of a difference.
The actual wording for drag racing is quicker not faster when talking about going through the traps and 1/4 times.

You didn't read the first part of my response.

There is also less data of a comparison of PT vs Neons to really make any kind of equal assignment between them. PT Cruisers are just generally not seen on any track anywhere near as much a Neons.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 May 2019, 02:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The actual wording for drag racing is quicker not faster when talking about going through the traps and 1/4 times.

You didn't read the first part of my response.

There is also less data of a comparison of PT vs Neons to really make any kind of equal assignment between them. PT Cruisers are just generally not seen on any track anywhere near as much a Neons.
I did read your full response...
I'm going by the Motor Trend etc. quarter mile times of the SRT4 and GT. I have been researching it a little more and one place said that the SRT's rating of 230 is closer to the power at the wheels and that the stock engine produced closer to 255 hp at the flywheel. My question is...what is the difference other than weight that makes the stock SRT4 "quicker"?
Old 22 May 2019, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In my first response I generalized all Noens and not solely the SRT-Neon.
I do not always buy into magazine articles and thier testing methods and conclusions. I will say that I have not personally looked at the ECU programming of an SRT-Neon. I have other Neons.

So if I had to guess as to why some of the curious attributes about the SRT over other Neons I would have to say it is the ECU programming?

This could be verified with anyone that does Performance EFI/ECU calibrating and could compare the ECU stock cells like timing,fueling, global settings etc, over a average none SRT Neon?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 May 2019 at 02:46 pm.
Old 22 May 2019, 02:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think the weight difference is over 500 lbs. That is a (quarter) ton. Probably accounts for a 1/2 second in the quarter by rule of thumb. I think after the first year, they all got a limited slip and I think their trans has more favorable gearing. Chrysler probably sent hotter cars out to the press launches and the guys running them for the mags are quite different. Most stock SRT4 Neons will be in the 13.8-14.2 range from what I have seen. PTs were run 14.7-15.3 IIRC. With T1 Daytonas, I remember that they were running 16.1 out of the box. Popular Hot Rodding got hold of one. They worked on their launch and iced the intake between runs and were hitting 15.3 with stock tires. Drag racing takes skill and experience. It is more than nailing the throttle, especially with a traction limited turbo/stick car.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 22 May 2019, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Drag racing takes skill and experience. It is more than nailing the throttle, especially with a traction limited turbo/stick car.

what.....you say...... most people think anyone can do it. ROLMAO..

I can remember sitting practicing on my training tree in the living room 100s of hours just to get consistent RT's when I competed professionally.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 May 2019, 03:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I think the weight difference is over 500 lbs. That is a (quarter) ton. Probably accounts for a 1/2 second in the quarter by rule of thumb. I think after the first year, they all got a limited slip and I think their trans has more favorable gearing. Chrysler probably sent hotter cars out to the press launches and the guys running them for the mags are quite different. Most stock SRT4 Neons will be in the 13.8-14.2 range from what I have seen. PTs were run 14.7-15.3 IIRC. With T1 Daytonas, I remember that they were running 16.1 out of the box. Popular Hot Rodding got hold of one. They worked on their launch and iced the intake between runs and were hitting 15.3 with stock tires. Drag racing takes skill and experience. It is more than nailing the throttle, especially with a traction limited turbo/stick car.
You are right....how you drive can make a huge difference!
Old 22 May 2019, 03:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

IIRC, to keep the cars on boost, sometimes it is better to haze the tire, rather than just hook and bog. Traction control off because that applies the brake to the spinning wheel.