PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas smell and rough idle today

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2019, 05:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Gas smell and rough idle today

I drove my 2003 turbo with Stage 1 installed. It was running great last night but just this morning I started it and it was sputtering and the exhaust has a gas smell? I took it for a burn and she still has the power ect.. but come to a stop she idles a little rough? My first thought was the air/fuel ratio. Second I thought maybe a plug was failing. I checked under the hood and could not find anything unhooked or other wise. It still goes pretty good but when I stop it's a rough Idle. Kind of like a big cam idles Lol
I don't want to start changing things out until I know for sure what it is. I hate to take it to any mechanic cause $$$ is a issue right now. But if I can't figure iit out I'm going to take it in...
Not sure what else to think? I'm low on gas so I'm gonna take a run to the gas station and put some more gas in it and see if it cures the problem? I dunno know worth a shot I guess lol I'll let ya know when I get back
Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was it?
Thanks Guys!
Old 31 May 2019, 05:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Gas smell and rough idle today

If you're that low on gas, that may be the problem. Could be some water in what's left. Maybe a bottle of dry gas?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 31 May 2019, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Has the spark plugs been replaced? Spark plug wires?
Old 03 Jun 2019, 12:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well Guys filled it up an no change....However I had a Mechanic check it out and it appears to be a blown motor. There are small silver filings in the oil.
He figures it's probably a rod bearing because it is getting to much gas in a cylinder and that's why it smells like gas so bad. Well time to get a new long block installed. Going out today to get a few prices. I love my car so that's why I'm going this route. If I didn't have thousands invested I would junk it.
Disappointing but it is what it is! Anyways I'll update this later.
Thanks Guys!
podo2000 likes this.
Old 04 Jun 2019, 07:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

Hold the phone. Just because there's some shavings doesn't mean the engine is a total loss. I'd get a second opinion. Compression test can tell you if the top end is good. If so, I'd replace the rod bearings, main bearings and oil pump and see what happens. Of course, I'm a cheap bastard and like to save what little bit of money I have.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Jun 2019, 08:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Possibly a bad/sticking injector. Might be a good idea to look into fixing that first. If your oil pressure is good and there are no odd noises like knocking, I would hold off on tearing down/replacing the engine at this time.

My 2 cents.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 04 Jun 2019, 12:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Hold the phone. Just because there's some shavings doesn't mean the engine is a total loss. I'd get a second opinion. Compression test can tell you if the top end is good. If so, I'd replace the rod bearings, main bearings and oil pump and see what happens. Of course, I'm a cheap bastard and like to save what little bit of money I have.
I have another mechanic coming in the next few days to check it out and give me a second opinion. So we'll see what he thinks. I'll update you in a couple of days.
If a mechanic changes all the you have said wouldn't it be easier to put in a new long block considering to get to that stuff he would have to tear it down anyways?
Old 04 Jun 2019, 12:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

rod bearings would be gold, not silver. if it runs id suspect the valve train- like the cam bearings/caps
muzicmax likes this.
Old 04 Jun 2019, 01:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would do the engine compression test on all cylinders as Chuzz suggested. If you have carbon deposits on the valves you might have a cylinder not firing at an idle with low compression pushing raw fuel out the tail pipe. Post what you find.
chuzz likes this.
Old 12 Jun 2019, 12:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok gentlemen... now don't laugh to hard..I figured I would start pulling the spark plug wires off each cylinder while it was running one at a time so I started with #1 cylinder; It didn't make a difference. So I went to #2 then #3 finally #4 and the engine just about died with each one being pulled except #1 So no Spark in #1. So I started there #1 and I put a new spark plug wire on and it made no difference.
Then I moved to the ignition coil. It had a Speed Demon Coil. Pulled that and put a new Mopar coil in. I didn't get any performance coil. Just put on the Mopar Coil as that's what I read on the forums here. I started the car and it started like the beast it is and was lol. Now if I can just find out where those 2 tiny metal filings in the oil are coming from?
Oh and thanks everyone for their input. I really appreciate it!!
Fk5, dougs and thecabinguy like this.