Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Installing bigger turbo info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2019, 03:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Installing bigger turbo info

I'm thinking down the road (since my current turbo is fine), but I was wondering what hp increase there would be when going to this turbo from the stock one https://www.modernperformance.com/pr...o-upgrade-kits Are there any other upgrades from the stock engine that would be needed to accompany the new turbo? Would fuel mileage increase or decrease with a bigger turbo? Reason I am considering this down the road is that the price (under $500) for a turbo you don't have to send in a core is pretty good!
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects

Last edited by shelbyzman; 10 Jul 2019 at 03:55 pm.
Old Yesterday, 12:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Installing bigger turbo info

Anyone? Would any other upgrades be needed if I change the turbo to the one mentioned in the first post?
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects
Old Yesterday, 12:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
Anyone? Would any other upgrades be needed if I change the turbo to the one mentioned in the first post?
I don't know anything about that particular turbo, but I think it is a BWS (Big Wheel Stock) turbo. You will need, at a minimum, a tune to take advantage. Otherwise, your car will probably run worse. We have a typically small turbo. This leads to quicker spool up/less lag, but limits top power.

You will probably need to provide additional fuel, I'm not sure a tune would be enough. As for mpg, it would typically be worse, but you never know. The TT Stealth guys actually got better mpg with bigger turbos because they were not on boost at typical highway speeds, and they fed less fuel.

I'm surprised nobody else piped up, but as Nitro usually says check with the manufacturer. Modern Performance is typically a reseller, but they are reputable and I am sure they will tell you what you need and give a general idea of the power level you can expect. There are other vendors that can provide similar products or cheaply redo your stocker. Chris from Turbos Unleashed is a member and usually very helpful, but he may have gotten into it with some here. There are certainly others that are excellent.
Old Yesterday, 01:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I really did not want to answer , without being rude, and most already know how I am pretty straight forward no BS, shelbyzman is far from this mod on his PT Cruiser.

But for some that have done all the pre-mods to support a larger Turbo the gains over stock verified power out put comparing with actual reliable gains from a larger TURBO and what has been accurately report vary so much it is hard to conclude what would be normal?

The stock Turbo is well capable to produce 300HP+ and very reliably with supporting mods.

shelbyzman based on reading most all your threads and responses and those from other's, I would recommend to buy an inexpensive TURBO core and clean up and do some DIY porting. Not only will you notice a nice little performance engine response increase but you will save a lot of money over a big wheel Turbo and other parts and have the satisfaction in doing something yourself.

Here are 2 of my stock cores Turbo's (not my BIG WHEEL) one is ported and cleaned up the other is completely the stock casting.

Adding Performance PT CRUISER parts
Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts
Old Yesterday, 01:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info. The price of the one I was looking at is less than $500...so I was thinking in the future when mine goes out, it isn't too expensive for a new turbo and without a core charge. How hard is it to bore out the stock turbo...what tools would be needed? I know everybody probably thinks I'm cheap not wanting to do premium fuel...but my pt is my daily driver and it's about a 90 mile round trip. So the extra cost of premium even over midgrade is a concern for me. I am trying to figure out all the mods I can do without having to go with premium (would be around $300 more a year than midgrade and $600 more than 87 which I don't run anymore). I know the cheapest and biggest upgrade would be to do the stage 1 computer, but that of course would mean premium fuel. I probably just need to be happy with what I have and quit trying to make it "faster", lol.

Last edited by shelbyzman; Yesterday at 02:29 pm.
Old Yesterday, 03:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you go with a bigger Turbo to adjust everything needed in able NOT to use premium seems a waste of everything.

A few simple porting tool items and at least an adjustable speed drill. Oh and wet sand paper. So aside from the drill which most DIY have already your investment to do a port project might be about 50 bucks?

One thing to mention unless you get rid of the cast goose-neck on the exhaust manifold most power increase achievement are going to be harder to get starting at about the 250hp mark.
Keep in mind when I mention all these power numbers it is based on and engine that has been health checked and initially DYNO'd at close to what the model year factory claims it to be.
My 2005 GT in near perfect engine condition did not make 220 HP as claimed. I have also Dyno'd a few other PT's over the years and none of them came up to the claimed factory power output.

Last edited by NitroPT; Yesterday at 03:48 pm.
Old Yesterday, 03:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

That is a pretty obvious difference between those exhaust manifolds!
Old Today, 09:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
My 2005 GT in near perfect engine condition did not make 220 HP as claimed. I have also Dyno'd a few other PT's over the years and none of them came up to the claimed factory power output.
How did you dyno them? I would assume that you are using a wheel dyno. Obviously, the power is going to be well lower than at the crank the way the factory tests. Are you talking about after the correction factors were applied? How low on power do you find them?