PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No Speedo?

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2020, 07:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: No Speedo?

The low-tech solution seems to be holding.

Bob in Liberty, MO
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 20 Mar 2020, 03:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Okay, I flinched. Had to disconnect the battery for something else and when reconnected, no speedo again. Repeated attempts to affect the cheap solution failed.

Pulled the computer, shipped to FL and it was unrepairable. But for an additional $749, they'd happily ship me a remanufactured replacement.

Not interested in the discussion of the different between repairing and remanufacturing, I had them ship my PCM back.

Found another, more reasonable source, and engaged their replacement option. New unit arrived yesterday and was soon after installed.

A brief TCM relearning occurred - made me a bit nervous when it held 2nd at 40 mph - and things seemed okay. Speedo working just fine but it wasn't long before the CEL illuminated. Codes were P0700, P1604 and P0613. The 613 worried me the most, but everything seemed fine operationally.

Today, however, I took to a back road and pressed the loud-pedal and things seemed a but lackluster (as compared to the old PCM). Grabbing the shifter, I tried to active the Auto-Stick option (which was working with the old PCM) with no luck.

It's acting as if I have normal 2.4L turbo programming instead of GT 2.4L turbo programming. I suspect a software mix-up could explain the CEL and codes as well.

I've dropped my PCM supplier to see if they may have flashed the wrong software and anxiously await their reply.

Thoughts?

Bob in Liberty, MO
Old 22 Mar 2020, 01:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSnyder View Post
Okay, I flinched. Had to disconnect the battery for something else and when reconnected, no speedo again. Repeated attempts to affect the cheap solution failed.

Pulled the computer, shipped to FL and it was unrepairable. But for an additional $749, they'd happily ship me a remanufactured replacement.

Not interested in the discussion of the different between repairing and remanufacturing, I had them ship my PCM back.

Found another, more reasonable source, and engaged their replacement option. New unit arrived yesterday and was soon after installed.

A brief TCM relearning occurred - made me a bit nervous when it held 2nd at 40 mph - and things seemed okay. Speedo working just fine but it wasn't long before the CEL illuminated. Codes were P0700, P1604 and P0613. The 613 worried me the most, but everything seemed fine operationally.

Today, however, I took to a back road and pressed the loud-pedal and things seemed a but lackluster (as compared to the old PCM). Grabbing the shifter, I tried to active the Auto-Stick option (which was working with the old PCM) with no luck.

It's acting as if I have normal 2.4L turbo programming instead of GT 2.4L turbo programming. I suspect a software mix-up could explain the CEL and codes as well.

I've dropped my PCM supplier to see if they may have flashed the wrong software and anxiously await their reply.

Thoughts?

Bob in Liberty, MO
Since your old and replacement PCM both have the same issues with the transmission and same P0613 code, you really need to make sure your wiring is good and intact and no frayed or broken wires. As well, you should check the connections on the transmission as well as the PCM, your grounds inside both fenders, and also ensure your battery is good and its connections are good and clean too. I agree with Handy that it sounds like a poor connection somewhere, either on the Transmission or PCM.

If all of that checks out, it could be that the replacement PCM you have acquired is defective; given the codes. While your PCM very well could have the Turbo Touring/Limited programming instead of the GT programming, which would give you poorer performance, the autostick and transmission should still work normally.

What is the part number on the PCM you have received?

Last edited by myckee; 22 Mar 2020 at 01:32 pm.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 09:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
What is the part number on the PCM you have received?
Part number is 05033328AC.

I'll dig deeper into the wiring harness. As the problem began with a radiator swap in December, I guess I'm going to start by digging under the battery tray.

You mention a ground lug on the passenger side. Not sure I noticed this one. Can you be a little more specific as to where this one hides?

Thanks in advance.

Bob in Liberty MO
Old 30 Mar 2020, 12:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

The scariest part of this myckee, would be if there is something outside the PCM that is causing damage. That fear comes from the diagnosis of the original PCM as terminal completely apart from the vehicle.

Bob in Liberty MO