PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No Speedo?

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2019, 08:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default No Speedo?

Replaced the radiator on a 2005 GT and after everything was buttoned back up, the speedometer was not working. Apparently it also lit the CEL on the way home (code not known at this time).

Hmmm.

Nothing about the rad replacement came anywhere near the bits that should cause the speedo to take a leave of absence, so...

I'm thinking disconnecting and reconnecting the battery may have caused the issue?

Thoughts?

Bob in Liberty
Old 12 Dec 2019, 09:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: No Speedo?

Have you tried the "key dance" to retrieve a code. Doubt disconnecting the battery alone caused the problem. Since you have a CEL, I think it might be premature to do anything before checking for a code, other than retracing your steps to see if you accidentally disconnected something.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 03:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Try this; watch the speedo gauge (from shop manual)

"STANDARD PROCEDURE - SELF-DIAGNOSTICS
To put the instrument cluster in Self-Diagnostic Mode, press (and hold) the trip reset button down and then turn the ignition to the ON position, then release the button.
The gauges will increment to selected stops and all indicators will light with the exception of liftgate ajar and fog lamp indicators. The oil lamp will come on when the ignition is turned ON and the engine is OFF. Refer to the proper Body Diagnostic Procedures manual if one or more indicators donít light, or a gauge does not appear to be functioning correctly.

NOTE: If a vehicle/instrument cluster is received with the instrument cluster gauge pointers on the wrong side of the pointer stops, momentarily remove the M1 fuse, located in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) in the engine compartment, then replace. The gauge pointers should then step through the scales and then sweep back to the proper side of the pointer stops."
Old 14 Dec 2019, 06:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Okay, did the self test on the instrument cluster and all seems okay. But...

The code popping is P0613, TCM Processor. The description seems to be that of a code that pops when the transmission thinks it's about to hurt itself. This doesn't sound good.

I feel the owner will be making a trip to a local transmission shop for further diagnosis.

I've been helping with this car for a couple of years now and, while it runs fine, the maintenance schedule has been sloppy. For example - and probably related to this - she's been long overdue a professional transmission service and has added about 30k miles since she last said she would, now at 147k miles. I added about 1.5 qts of ATF+4 today to bring it up between the dipstick marks. I sense a strong connection between the low fluid level and P0613.

Now for the phone call.

Bob in Liberty
Old 14 Dec 2019, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This really sounds like a loose connection at the transmission. Under the battery tray are the transmission plugs. It's easy for them to get pulled on while replacing the radiator. You can either remove the battery and tray or crawl up under the car to reach them. I'd try unplugging them and plugging them back in. I'd also inspect for broken or frayed leads.
Old 15 Dec 2019, 07:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with Handy. As for crawling up under it, nope. I prefer removing the battery and battery tray. The connector to the solenoid pack takes an 8mm socket to get the plug loose. Check that along with the connectors on the sensors.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 15 Dec 2019, 07:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Here's a problem I had with my daughter's Neon related to the automatic transmission output sensor. As soon as we went for a drive, the speedometer didn't work, it threw a CEL, and the transmission stayed in 1st gear (limp mode).

I started by replacing the transmission output sensor. The old sensor had quite a bit of metallic "fuzz" on it, apparently the sensors are a magnetic effect type. The new sensor did not fix the problem.

It turned out there was a broken wire at the transmission output sensor, when I tugged the wires, one of them stretched a bit, indicating a broken conductor. After fixing the connector all was well.

The output sensor on her Neon was on the front side of the transmission (facing the radiator) accessible from the topside. The sensor may be located similarly on a PT.

It's something to check.
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.

Last edited by RickinPA; 15 Dec 2019 at 07:15 pm.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 02:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
This really sounds like a loose connection at the transmission. Under the battery tray are the transmission plugs. It's easy for them to get pulled on while replacing the radiator.
Snow here may be delaying the car's delivery to the transmission shop, so here goes...

I'm struggling with the relationship between swapping the radiator and the wiring harness. The only wires touched, bumped or even close to the work I did is the small bundle clipped to the plastic battery tray. Beyond spreading the clip to loose them and clipping them back on, they were untouched.

I did not explore what wires these were. If...and this is a big if...I go back under the hood, are they my suspects?

Or, in your experience, are there other wires that are vulnerable during this repair I did not notice?

Not looking forward to touching this car again, but I don't want to send it to a shop only for pay them for numerous hours of diagnosis. you can understand my second guessing of myself here.

Bob in Liberty
Old 30 Jan 2020, 08:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Okay, so let me wrap up this adventure...

The vehicle in question - 2005 PT GT with 142k miles - is now mine, and came with the unresolved P0613 code.

I scoured my resources and decide to sent the PCM off to AES Modules in Jacksonville, FL. Made the call, set up a repair order and paid for the service.

Went out to the car and part way through PCM removal, I realized I forgot to confirm the mileage. Hooked the electrics back up, started the car, and no more code. None. Zippo. Nada. P0613 is gone.

Whatever I did - essentially just unplugging the 4 PCM wire clusters and plugging them back in - resolved the issue.

I have a fully functional speedometer and odometer and no more check engine light.

To be fair, I called the friend who sold me the car for a song and made sure they were okay with my zero-cost repair. The car is still mine.

Bob in Liberty

PS - Now I have to sell one of the other ones to clear space in the driveway.

Last edited by RCSnyder; 30 Jan 2020 at 08:22 pm.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 08:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

Drive the car for 50 miles to see if it comes back.
chuzz likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost