Fuel Tank Issue

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AnRAutotech
  • 1 Post By RCSnyder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2020, 02:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Fuel Tank Issue

My '05 PT Ltd 2.4T won't fuel properly. It fills about a quart then stops because the fuel is backing up the filler neck.

I've identified that the vent tube coming back to near the fuel filler has no air flow. I think it should.

It appears to be connected to what I assume to be some sort of valve (rollover?) attached to the tank as depicted. I think if the valve were closed/blocked what happens seems very possible.

I guess I'm asking if this is the Rollover Valve AND is it serviceable?

Thanks in advance.

Bob in Liberty MO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg (42.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 03 Apr 2020, 10:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel Tank Issue

The vent tube can be accessed under the car at the filler tube hose or in the fuel fill area. It is only a ventilation hose for the fuel tank which can become clogged. You can either remove the tube at the filler neck under the car and blow low pressure air or if you have an adapter of sorts by the fuel cap. If this does not clear the hose you will need to remove the fuel pump and filter assembly.
RCSnyder likes this.
Old 03 Apr 2020, 04:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

I tried to blow air through from both directions to no avail.

I guess I'll drop the tank this weekend and take a closer look.

Thanks.

Bob in Liberty
Old 11 Apr 2020, 09:14 am
Regular Cruiser

Update and final...

Dropped the tank and found the nearside valve not working (photo attached). The far side valve was fine.

As this is a non-serviceable part, I secured a new/used tank and that solved it.

While I generally check eBay for parts like this, I wasn't really keen on the $175 delivered price, so I checked locally. $50 plus tax was much more to my liking.

In a related story...

I was telling my daughter about my problems and she said her '05 had behaved similarly - not allowing proper fueling - after ex-husband's girlfriend dumped something into her fuel tank. Made me wonder if I may have made someone mad or bored teenagers found my car. Hmm.

Anyway, tank replacement is a breeze, as would be fuel pump replacement. Definitely a driveway DIY project.

TTFN

Bob in Liberty MO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (97.5 KB, 6 views)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Apr 2020, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSnyder View Post
Update and final...

Dropped the tank and found the nearside valve not working (photo attached). The far side valve was fine.

As this is a non-serviceable part, I secured a new/used tank and that solved it.

While I generally check eBay for parts like this, I wasn't really keen on the $175 delivered price, so I checked locally. $50 plus tax was much more to my liking.

In a related story...

I was telling my daughter about my problems and she said her '05 had behaved similarly - not allowing proper fueling - after ex-husband's girlfriend dumped something into her fuel tank. Made me wonder if I may have made someone mad or bored teenagers found my car. Hmm.

Anyway, tank replacement is a breeze, as would be fuel pump replacement. Definitely a driveway DIY project.

TTFN

Bob in Liberty MO
After people started stealing gas out of cars about 10 years ago in my neighborhood I put locking gas caps on all of my vehicles.