Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
IDIOTS AT SCHER TIRE INC IN SO. CAL.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2004, 08:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default IDIOTS AT SCHER TIRE INC IN SO. CAL.

Some may have read of my saga of the wobbling wheels since I rotated my tires. The dealership told me that my suspension had no problems and I needed to go to a Goodyear store. Unfortunately, I chose Scher Tire, Inc here in So Cal. They are a chain of about 21 stores here so So Cal members beware. They had my car for 5+ hours yesterday and swore up and down that the tires were fine, balance was good so I MUST have a suspension issue. Never mind that the wobble started right after I rotated tires.

So today, I took it to another dealership to again have the suspension checked. Another rental car, aggrevation, etc. The service guy said there is no problem but that I should call Goodyear, which I did. The guy was very helpful actually. He called the America's Tire Store near my house and arranged for me to bring the car in saying they would do whatever it takes to make me happy.

I got the car from the dealership and went to the tire store. Within 10 minutes they came in with a hand full or rim weights that the other place had used to balance my tires. (I had specifially told them not to use rim weights on my wheels) These wheels need the kind that are stuck onto the inner arc of the wheel. After another 10 minutes they had the job done and I was on my way, everything was solid as a rock, no more shimmy.

Bottom line, if you live in So Cal, avoid Scher Tire like the plague.

Second, if you have a shimmy problem, make sure that whoever balanced your tires didn't use rim weights.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a problem right now with the wife's KIA. 4 new Goodyears (Viva II's)from Wal-Mart Tire Express and the darn thing shook so bad I couldn't reach the speed limit. Had them rebalenced...no good. Rotated...no good. Finally they gave me 4 more new Goodyears (Viva II's again) and it still shakes. [xx(] Spoke with the district manager a little while ago and he said there's a new store manager starting tomorrow and to bring the car back again and he'll sort it out....we'll see.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Update...in case anyones interested. [:I]

Went back to Wal-Mart and they took the new Goodyear Viva's off and had a good look at them. Two more were out-of-round...that's a total of 5! New manager put the worst of the tires on the rear and going to order an upgraded Michelin set of tires to replace mine (all 4) at no additional cost. Supposed to have them by next Monday.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 04:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Make absolelty sure that they are balancing the wheels with internal (inner arc of the wheel) weights and not rim weights. This was the problem with mine. It is extremely unusual for tires to be "out of round". I cannot remember the last time anyone used rim weights on my wheels. Apparently the "pros" at Scher Tire where not aware of the need for this type of weight, especially with an alloy, front driver. The weights need to be located closer to the center of the offset. Also the machine that is used needs to be able to detect runout as well as out of balance to place the weights.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 25 Jul 2004, 12:22 am
Cool Cruiser

I wouldn't put Goodyear tires on my lawn tractor. Have never had good luck with them on anything they were on.

Mike
Old 26 Jul 2004, 06:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the heads up Cal. I've still got the original GoodYears at 6,000 miles so it will be a while before I get new Michelin's.[?]
Old 29 Jul 2004, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Radowski

I wouldn't put Goodyear tires on my lawn tractor. Have never had good luck with them on anything they were on.

Mike
DITTO! What he said!
I cannot believe that Goodyear is still in business sometimes!
Sheesh! I have been surfing these forums for about 3years
and I have lost count of how many "badyear" stories there are!
Its unbelievable! You want me to buy american, then quite making
it Crappy!
[xx(]
Old 01 Aug 2004, 02:34 am
Young Cruiser

I wish more people would take the time to compare apples to apples, or as in this case, economy tires with economy tires. Blasting Goodyear because their economy model tire isn't as good as a Michelin costing at least 50% more is like crying about your Cruiser not having the acceleration of a Viper! Goodyear makes high-end tires too, but unlike Michelin, they also cater to the higher-volume low price end of the market as well. You may pay a lot for a bad tire, but in my experience, you'll never pay a little for a really good one.
Old 01 Aug 2004, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

EJIII,

You make a good point...BUT, how far do you have to go up towards the high end of the Goodyear tires before you find a good one. There's been numerous problems with the stock Goodyears that came with the PT, and now they've found 4 bad Goodyear VIVA II's on the one's I was trying to buy. That's two different series of tires that are bad. I finally went back and got my replacement tires from Wal-Mart. They couldn't get me the Michelin's so they gave me BF Goodrich. Balanced them, put them on and they are fine..not a shake or shimmy all the way up to 80.
Old 02 Aug 2004, 02:50 am
Young Cruiser

CREWZIN,

I assumed from the unfamiliar model name and store that the Goodyears in question are an economy model. Is the retail price of the BFG tires comparable to the eccentrically shaped Goodyears? I'm not defending Goodyear per se, just like to see a fair comparison made when someone's being dissed. For what it's worth, my last three tire purchases were Dunlop, Goodyear and Cooper, and I feel I got my moneysworth out of all of them. The Goodyears I bought were snow tires and cost within $5 of the equivalent Michelins. Your BFGs should be great, lots of Michelin oversight there!
[8)]