Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Any advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2004, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Any advice?

I have an '03 2.4L Turbo GT and twice this month the malfunction indicator light (the engine symbol in the instrument cluster) has stayed on when driving. The first time I took it to the dealer, it turned out to be a loose gas cap - boy, I felt dumb...but then I wondered why it took about 3 to 4 days before the light came on?

While getting that looked at, I had them check on the "ticking" or "tapping" noise I heard by the engine area when at a stop or at park. The dealer chamfered the radius cam caps. Since then I haven't heard the sound. Thank goodness.

Two weeks later, it happened again- the malfunction indicator light came back on! I checked the gas cap and it was on tight, so I had to take it back to the dealer. I don't think it's the gas cap this time. Anyone have an idea of what it might be? Has this happened to anyone before? If it has, what was the solution?

One more thing, at acceleration as I merge onto the freeway, I noticed a sort of pinging from the engine, especially in warm to hot weather. I noticed this even before they chamfered the cam caps. I don't think any type of pinging is normal. At night however, when it's cool or cold out, my car performs exceptionally well. What is going on? I really love my car and don't want people around me thinking I bought a piece of crap.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

JSP

Old 28 Jul 2004, 06:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Maybe [:I] or maybe not [:I], but, something to consider: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...s,engine,noise

TSB NUMBER: 09-007-04
GROUP: Engine
DATE: March 2, 2004
FAILURE CODE: 52 Improperly Machined

Good luck. [8]
Old 28 Jul 2004, 08:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Blonde

what octane gas do you put in it

Now with stage 1

Just a GT... Thats tearin\' arse on the driveway.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/themanfrmokinawa

14.626 @ 94.74
stage 0 , intake and exhaust only.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

If the knock sensor is working, it shouldn't ping, no matter what.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Check the condition of the battery. When they start to go away, they can cause weird stuff to happen.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 03:05 am
Cool Cruiser

[^]Gary, thank you, I've wondered how to use the Smokin Pimp smile face.

[8)][?]
Old 29 Jul 2004, 03:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Blonde

what octane gas do you put in it
I put the highest octane (91) and I always go to unocal, mobile, shell, or chevron.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 04:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AlmondTurbo

Check the condition of the battery. When they start to go away, they can cause weird stuff to happen.
The thing is, I bought the car new, I've had it for less than a year and these things are happening already? It's just frustrating. The first dealership (the dealership I purchased the car) didn't even try to deal with the problems. One mechanic told me the "ticking" was just something turbos did. Then about the pinging...the advisor told me that I might have been using the wrong gas, but I told him I used premium gas from reputable gas stations like unocal, shell, mobile...the service dept. just didn't want to deal with it. Now my car is at another dealership, one that is supposedly a 5 star dealership, but we'll see...they fixed (or so I thought) the engine light the first time, but a week and a hald later it came on again. I had to leave my car there overnight so I haven't had a car to drive for a day and a half. It's all very upsetting. I'm going to have to contact Chrysler or something...anyway...thanks for the suggestions. Anymore would be greatly appreciated!
Old 30 Jul 2004, 02:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

In case anyone is interested...

I got my car back today and it turns out they had to update the software in the computer. That took care of the engine light and the "pinging" noise. I stepped on the gas as I merged onto the freeway this afternoon and noticed no pinging. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the problems are fixed.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 01:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

It sounds like you solved your two problems, pinging, engine light and found a dealer that will listen and will solve problems for customers. Way to go ![?]