PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine braking with '04 Cruiser GT (AutoStick)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2004, 03:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default Engine braking with '04 Cruiser GT (AutoStick)

Some of the roads I drive on are hilly, so instead of braking alot, I just shift into Autostick then shift into a lower gear as necessary. Is this a No-No?

Once I start climbing up the hill, I either shift up to a higher gear or just shift it into drive. Is this also a No-No?
Old 30 Aug 2004, 08:41 am
Cool Cruiser

In heavy traffic I sometimes use Autostick to keep the car in second so it doesn't shift up to 3rd unnecessarily.

It also provides some engine breaking which reduces the amount of braking I need to do.

Joe

http://www.pbase.com/robinjoe/pt_cruiser
Old 30 Aug 2004, 09:24 am
Regular Cruiser

I only go as low as 3rd gear for engine breaking. I drive a 01 Ram van for work and I use engine breaking a lot because I live around the coast. I can tell you after doing that for the last few years, the tranny is starting to act up ie; not holding shift or having really rough transition between shift point. I also been told by the service tech that the tranny oil is turning very dark.

My advice, brake pads are cheap, a tranny rebuilt can pay for a lot of it.

Just my 2cents worth.

Paw
Old 30 Aug 2004, 01:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

When I do what I describe in my post, I'm talking about 10 to 15 MPH driving where the car just shifts in to third and I need to break again and it drops to second or even first. I'm thinking the additional shifting is harder on the tranny than leaving it in 2nd in this slow and go traffic.

http://www.pbase.com/robinjoe/pt_cruiser
Old 30 Aug 2004, 04:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

I drive mine like a stick shift as much as I can. With the Stage I it shifts fast. I've gotten so I can blip the throttle on downshifts and catch lower gear just in time.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 10:47 am
Cool Cruiser

I also use my auto stick like a stick. Have been doing it since day one. I down shift to break; up shift off the line and so far - no real problems with the tranny. I do question if the tranny is up for 100% auto stick use but if they built it to use, then I assume it's OK to use it 100% of the time.

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Old 31 Aug 2004, 10:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paw

I only go as low as 3rd gear for engine breaking. I drive a 01 Ram van for work and I use engine breaking a lot because I live around the coast. I can tell you after doing that for the last few years, the tranny is starting to act up ie; not holding shift or having really rough transition between shift point. I also been told by the service tech that the tranny oil is turning very dark.

My advice, brake pads are cheap, a tranny rebuilt can pay for a lot of it.

Just my 2cents worth.
Paw
Dark tranny oil is the first sign of a tranny problem. First thing to do is get the tranny oil and filter changed. You might find that this helps in solving your transmission problem. The service tech should have recommended this.

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Old 31 Aug 2004, 07:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

that what I said to the tech. Because the work truck is a lease vehicle and they cover all maintenace. Hence, no service until over 55,000km per leasing company. Will fine out soon enough, just rollover 56,000km and waiting for service date from the leasing agent.

Paw
Old 31 Aug 2004, 08:34 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazie.eddie

Some of the roads I drive on are hilly, so instead of braking alot, I just shift into Autostick then shift into a lower gear as necessary. Is this a No-No?...
This is what the Autostick is designed to do--for hills and mountain driving. Use it like you would a stick-shift. When climbing a steeper grade I use second, watch the RPMs, then shift into third where needed. When using the Autostick to "brake" going down hills I usually use third but DO shift into second where indicated.