Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Filter Restrictor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2004, 09:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Air Filter Restrictor

I have a 2004 turbo lite. I changed the air filter to a K&N and was wondering how do you remove the air ristrictor. I asume that it the the white peice in the upper part of the housing. I just cant seem to figure out how to remove it....thanks for your help...
Old 09 Oct 2004, 11:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to retroman715

rszappa1,

Just by removing the white air silencer you will still have a bottleneck(as far as peformance is concerned) in the intake tube going from the turbo to the airbox. The white silencer in the air intake box is just there to quiet down the whistling sound of the turbo spooling up. If you really want to improve the performance and throttle response of the engine and you like the sounds a turbo makes, then you can replace the turbo inlet pipe with an aftermarket one that uses an open element air fliter.

If you just want to remove the white air silencer then you have to pry the two halves apart with a screwdriver then reinstall the box. I did that also and did not notice much change. However, the biggest gains in performance and throttle response came from replacing the air intake system. You can definately feel the difference.

Just my .02

2004 GT - Stage 1, BTG intake, BTG Strut bar, ADAM'S VAK UCP on order, Heart-Throb cat back 2.5 exhaust

Keep on Kruizin[8)]

Retroman
Old 10 Oct 2004, 12:06 am
Senior Cruiser

I have an '04 Turbo Lite also. You really want to up the performance of your car? For about $350 and 20 minutes with a 10mm wrench you can increase your horsepower by roughtly 1/3. Yes, you'll jump from 180HP to 235-240HP if you install Stage 1. Those of us who have done this to our Turbo Lites will never look back!![8)]
Old 10 Oct 2004, 06:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Here are some photos...

Airbox cover. Red arrow is pointing to the silencer...

Photo after the silencer is removed...

Photo of silencer...

You may/may not see the clips on the silencer, therefore, spin it around until you do.

Some people, including myself, removed the snorkel (d and e on below pic) as well as the piece holding it.

FYI, along with Stage 1, majority of the people change their exaust and a less restricting air filter.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 10 Oct 2004, 07:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cut my snorkle off flush with the inside of the box when I still used my stock box. That way the snorkle out side of the box still went over to the fenderwell hole.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 11 Oct 2004, 06:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Don't leave the white thing in there like crazy did. Just pull the whole thing out. It just snaps in.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 12 Oct 2004, 07:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

how does that white peice come out. I am able to get the two peice white plastic out but how does the entire peice come out..
Old 12 Oct 2004, 11:53 am
Senior Cruiser

It just snaps in if I remember right. I just pulled it out. It didn't even occur to me to take it apart. I have it in one piece down in the cabinet in my garage.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 13 Oct 2004, 01:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mine was toiugh to come uot and therefore I have it in 2 pieces. No matter what I did though my best results by far was to go with my K&N Typhhon intake system. There is just no comparison you do need the larger unrestricted pipe!! The actual dyno numbers done by K&N was about 7 HP at the rear wheels over my modded stock box and stock pipe.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 10:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to retroman715

Steel,

I think you meant front wheels....DOH![xx(] I got the BTG and I definately feel it ands so does the rice thats gettin spanked in the process. Keep on Kruizin'

retroman [?] [8)]