Gas ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2004, 08:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Gas ?

A friend of mine's brother from out of town was visiting
and he came over to see my Cruiser.He's has a GT and I said
the bad thing about a GT is you have to use primeum gas.He said
all he uses is regular unleaded with ethenal which is 90 octain.
Is this true?He has had his GT for over a year and a half and has had no problems.I thought you had to use 93 octain.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 09:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Stock GT is fine using medium grade. If you want better performance or if you have Stage 1, you should be using the higher octane rating.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 10 Nov 2004, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Knock sensor ought to keep harm from being done, but it'll retard ignition to prevent ping, and that'll keep performance down.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Nov 2004, 11:12 am
Senior Cruiser

[quote]Originally posted by crazie.eddie

Stock GT is fine using medium grade. If you want better performance or if you have Stage 1, you should be using the higher octane rating.
[/quotte

ED, how about turbo lite with stage 1?

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 10 Nov 2004, 01:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

Quote:
Originally posted by crazie.eddie

[/quotte

Stage 1 changes timing and fuel curves. To get the most performance out of it you need premium or else the knock sensor will pull timing, reducing performance.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 10 Nov 2004, 03:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

Quote:
Originally posted by crazie.eddie

[/quotte

Stage 1 levels the playing field. If you start with an HO GT or a Turbo Lite and add S1 to either, you end up in the exact same place. Premium fuel is then recommended, although you could probably safely use mid-grade is needed. At around 10 cents a gallon more for premium I figure it's about a buck and half per tank more for the good stuff - so it's all I've used since putting S1 on my Lite.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 05:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Here is my question, why invest in stage 1 and then retard the whole thing by using regular or mid grade fuel?? When prices go sky high I too use regular grade 87 octane if I am only going around town but I dont have stage 1![8)]
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 05:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[|)] My feelings even for the GT/High Output turbo. It was designed to run on premium gasoline and will try to protect itself from damage by cutting back on power when a lower grade of gasoline is used but I can certainly tell a difference between performance with premium vs mid grade and I personally would not use regular in my GT unless I had no alternative. Stage 1 makes the need for premium totally necessary. With the turbo lite (without Stage 1) there is not a problem with running lower grades of gasoline since it was tuned for the lower grades and in fact running premium in a standard turbo lite may be a waste of money.

As Mike-In-Orange described, the turbo lite with Stage 1 is the same as a GT/HO with Stage 1 so premium is required.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.