Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Engine Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2004, 02:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Turbo Engine Replacement

Hello everybody....Had a question for all you Turbo people....... I found a great deal on a turbo engine that has about 700 miles on it. It was being transported by rail (the entire PT) and the car some how fell off the train during final delivery. There was some damage to the outside of the car, but nothing happened to the engine. My question is: can I replace my non turbo engine by dropping this Turbo engine in? Do they have the same trannys, and if so, what will I have to buy (oil lines) extra to make to transition complete? Any help would be greatly appreciated. For around $2,000, I think it is a great deal...your thoughts?
BigPhil
Old 16 Nov 2004, 03:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

unfortunately it would be a real pain to make that work without a stand alone enging management system like a haltech. Many, many changes to the wiring harness and computer were made for the 2003 model year. one example is the crank position sensor location and output signal. you would need the PCM from the '03 to make it all work especially with the automatic transmission.
my opinion, its not worth the effort.
The hahn turbo at only 5psi will do no harm to the engine and will definitely make a huge difference. That will run you around $2500 from Bob Stockum (buy from him for best savings) which is still at least a grand cheaper than a S/C plus it is the base point for a system that could put your car up to 300hp.
Old 16 Nov 2004, 03:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

From what I understand the engines are still the same it's the intake, turbo, intercooler, manifold, PCM and all the ducting involved. Wow when you look at it that way I guess it is a whole new engine. I know that the placement of things in the egine bay are different to make room for the extra components so you might need to also check if everything will mount up correctly. Sorry I wasn't more of a help, but I'm sure someone on this forum will have some advise for you.
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator
Old 16 Nov 2004, 03:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks guys..... RallyDRock...do you have any info on how I can get in touch with Bob? Let me know...thanks again for the help....just thought it was a great deal...and I have a 2003 Base Model...automatic...if that helps...
BigPhil

Old 16 Nov 2004, 04:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Strangelove,
The only similarility b/n the n/a and turbo engine is the displacement. The innards of the turbo engine are not stamped parts like the n/a engine and are designed to withstand the greater stresses of turbocharging.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 16 Nov 2004, 05:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

I haven't researched this particluar swap, but here is a generalized thought on this type of work. First, see if you can get the entire car and return what you don't use. There may be 3-4 small things that are different that will be a big pain to aquire (instrument cluster, brackets, wiring, for example). Second, make sure you get the entire drivetrain, harness and computer. Third, swap first, then modify. Make sure the whole thing is together and running before swapping exhaust, turbo, computer, or anything else. If your plan is to build a monster, the motor is a good idea, due to the internal beefing that has been mentioned. If this is just a case of wanting a bit more power, consider how much HP per dolar you are getting. Last, if you live where smog laws apply, make sure to dot your "I"s and cross your "T"s. Get the right underhood sticker, have it inspected for an engine swap (if needed) and get it all on paper. It is legal here in CA, due to the motor being available in that chassis, but you better have all the paper to back it up. The VIN indicates what motor is in the car, and when that is entered during inspection, it will cause confusion. I'd say the best situation would be to get the manuals, have both cars side-by side, and swap everything from the firewall forward and between the wheels. Don't be surprised if the underdash harness and cluster need to be swapped, too. Good luck.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 16 Nov 2004, 06:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Goldmember

Here in Canada the price of the Hahn is out of site so I thought about buying a totalled GT just for the engine PCM, and related parts. www.carparts.com is the best place to start

I will probably go with a Hahn, although Moss's Jackson Racing SC looks really good

Old 16 Nov 2004, 07:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Isn't the front part of the turbo PT larger than the NA PT? I'm assuming due to the turbo, intercooler, etc. requires the extra room?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 16 Nov 2004, 09:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazie.eddie

Isn't the front part of the turbo PT larger than the NA PT? I'm assuming due to the turbo, intercooler, etc. requires the extra room?
The front fascia below the bumper is different on the turbo's to accommodate the intercooler and to provide adequate cooling to the intercooler. The transmission cooler is also in a different location.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 05:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Wow the GT is really a different animal after all. And I thought all DC did was swap the badges
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator