Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Bags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2003, 02:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air Bags

I had O1 PT Just befor I traded it in on a 03 GT the warning light began to come on off and on,now the 03 GT is doing the same. Any one having this problem?

Old 01 Apr 2003, 02:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Don't know if this will help but my wife's Toyota's airbag light would go on because she kept stuff under the driver's seat and it must have did something to the wire sensor for the airbag. She removed the stuff from under the seat and the light went off.

'03 Onyx Green GT 5 speed

'01 Bright Silver Metallic Automatic
Old 27 Apr 2003, 08:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HiRider

I had O1 PT Just befor I traded it in on a 03 GT the warning light began to come on off and on,now the 03 GT is doing the same. Any one having this problem?

Old 27 Apr 2003, 08:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

2oo2 pt intermitant airbag alarm...I have been to the dealer 4 times.
They replaced clockspring but still same problem..i can put tape over the lite but that chime is driving me nuts...seems to be worse in the cold weather...ba
Old 27 Apr 2003, 12:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Steve03GT

Which warning lite?

\'02 Corvette (510 RWHP/510 TQ)
Member of 11sec. club &
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 29 Apr 2003, 12:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

AIRBAG warning light....ba
Old 10 May 2003, 12:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HiRider

Had just the same problem several times with an '03 GT just bought March 1st. Dealer replaced MAP sensor module and that didn't work. This last trip to the dealer, they had the car for a week and a half. Chrysler STAR service center finally advised them to replace the PCM module and sent updated programming for the module. With newly programmed module, so far so good. But, it's only been since yesterday. If I make more than a week, I'll figure that's a good sign.

Bobby
Old 02 Jun 2003, 01:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm having the same trouble with my 03 GT.
Has DC solved the problem yet?
Old 02 Jun 2003, 01:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This sounds like the elusive clock spring problem that Chrysler has finally admitted to on other models, only after the customers complained since around 1996 about the documented problems concerning the clock spring and the circuits associated with it.

If you have to end up getting the problem corrected on your own dime (before a TSB or recall is issued - like many customers have had to do in the past), make sure the dealer that does it makes a note on the repair ticket what the diagnosis is, parts needed to repair it and the labor.

Also, try to do it within the first 12 months or 12K miles; the period the Chrysler claims bumber to bumper warranty service. Don't let them drag out the diagnosis period past the warranty period.

This way, if it is the clock spring, and if Chrysler drags their feet until litigation makes them issue a recall (while kicking and screaming all the way), you should be able to file the repair against Chrysler for reimbursement.

This method assures 3 to 5 years of safe driving while Chrysler comes to terms with the financial denial mandated by the bean counters.

The clock spring is what transfers circuit contact of the controls that turn with the steering wheel. Airbags, speed control and horn seem to be the major ones. It is a commonly used circuit, and is problematic. With the amount of Plastic used in the interior of the PT, the "curing" stage where the residue of the plastic inside the cockpit, as it ages, can settle on the contact area of the clock spring.

You can see the same thing happening by the film that settles on the inside windows and windshield when the car is purchased new and for the first few months thereafter.

This allows small surface areas to become partially insulated by the residue, (much like what cooking grease residue or tar from Cigarette smoke does to older volume controls in home stereo, radios, etc.).

The partial interruption of the signal passing from the rotating circuits to the stationary PCM is interpretted as a sensor, actuator or controller failure to the PCU, and it flings a code. Due to the safety and liability issues os the airbag, the PCM is especially sensitive to potential errors that are reported in this circuit.

This may not apply to your problem; just a guess based on past testimonial.