Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Complete Engine Swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2004, 09:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade
Default Complete Engine Swap

I have a gearhead friend who knows just about anything there is to know about cars. He has connections to some engine warehouse and can get me a PT GT engine for below cost. He will also be able to do the engine swap, and will charge much less than any mechanic would. I would help too of course. We also want to do all the pistons, rods and cams swaps before we put the engine in. All i want to know is if this is a feasible plan and that we wont hit some big problem that will keep us from doing it. I am really looking forward to being a sleeper for once instead of just a slow car.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 09:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Anything is possible. Just rememeber the wiring harness, computer, possibly the trans, not sure if the GT computer will control the tranny on an NA car. Does the engine include the intercooler assebly? Lots have thought about this swap but ultimately thought better of it.

You shouldn't have to upgrade the internals since they are already purpose built for the turbo.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 13 Dec 2004, 11:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I would highly doubt if you can just swap out the N/A for the GT engine. How much is this new engine going to cost you? You probably want to look at either the hahn turbo, or maybe the whipple supercharger instead. Those are direct bolt-ons, and will require less modification than dropping a new engine in. If you can get this new engine for less than 3K, then go for it.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to hoopdiewagon

Look at building your bottom-end if your plans include 350ish horsepower. If your are goin to do all that, why not port the head and get some of them oversized vavles also?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Taylor, I don't think the engine swap would be feasible. You would need to swap engines, add the intercooler, swap the harness and the PCM's. I don't know if the new pcm will work well with everything in your car, and you wouldn't be able to goto stage 1 or 2 because the vin # would not match a turbo's and DC wouldn't program a new PCM for your PT. If you really want to boost your power, I'd suggest ripping apart the block and changing pistons, rods, and seals; making sure the compression is similar to a PT turbo's engine. Also get better cams, port and polish the head, and like Hoopdie suggested, get bigger valves. THEN you can add a whipple supercharger or Hahn's turbo with an intercooler. Since you'll have the engine out already, I'd go with the Hahn's since you can upgrade to stage 2, 3 or 4! Install new spark plugs gapped at .040 and add either Crane Firewire or Magnecor spark plug wires. Add a boost controller and a boost gauge, set the boost to over 13 psi, buckle your seat belt, and hold on for dear life! It may cost you more and be more work, but you'll be faster than most of us!
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade

I strongly believe I can get the engine and have it installed installed for under a grand. Its either that, or get the engine, take off the turbo, and install it on my engine. I am also thinking of just trading in my pt, but id have to put the oem exhaust back on and whatever else. Would it be possible to just take the turbo off of the gt and put it in my n/a?

edit: There are a few ways around stage 1 but with added performance right? Like the AGP WGA, Boost controller, and whatever else. When I came up with this, I figured that even if I wasnt satisfied with the added 70 hp, I could do other things than just Stage 1. I just want a faster car. Im done with being a snail.
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)
Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:35 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TaylorMade

I strongly believe I can get the engine and have it installed installed for under a grand. Its either that, or get the engine, take off the turbo, and install it on my engine. I am also thinking of just trading in my pt, but id have to put the oem exhaust back on and whatever else. Would it be possible to just take the turbo off of the gt and put it in my n/a?
I wouldn't try it! The compression in the turbo engines is lower than the n/a's and the parts are more beefed up in the turbo's too. Goto Bill Stockum's site, http://www.bstockum.com/ , to see the difference in the n/a and turbo engines.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Have you ever thought about nitrous?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hoopdiewagon

Have you ever thought about nitrous?
MX-5 is the one to ask about NOS he has a NICE system setup on his Dreamcruiser and seems to have no problems with it. Granted ive never been with him when hes opened it up. (should ask him the next time i see him)
anyway, personally im afraid of NOS because of the percieved added wear on the motor. ( MX-5 will tell you that is BS though )

2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:44 am
Regular Cruiser

I wasnt asking on my behalf. I have had both dry and wet kits from Zex and NX on my Accord before the SRT. Im not going to proclaim professional, but I do know know a good deal about the stuff....unfortunatley, nothing on the 2.4L Turbo engine though.