Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Phantom Grip diff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2005, 01:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Phantom Grip diff

I was watching Speed channel a few days ago, can't remember which show, and they were covering an import drag racing event. One of the competitors had been running a spool diff and changed over to a Phantom Grip and he claims he picked up 2/10th in the 1/4. Made me go "Hmmmmmm".....
Old 28 Jan 2005, 02:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

After reading your post I too say "Hmmmmmmm"
Old 28 Jan 2005, 02:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have spoken with some folks that had experience with the phantom grip and other "locker" type arrangements. According to their experience it is a mixed bag.

Lockers are not positrack, they do not distribute the power to the wheel with grip as posi does. Lockers do as advertised, they lock to give a solid axle. This works in some situations, but may give mixed results in others. (There is a reason that NO manifacture of automobiles puts a locker differential on their stock product.)

This is second hand, but I have heard that locker mechanisms may cause extra wear and stress in the differential, and can be less than smooth and noisey in their operation.

I would like to know more also, since it is now the only option short of a $3k overhaul to have anything but the stock "one wheel drive" that comes with an autostick.[8)]
Old 28 Jan 2005, 06:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Tommy (tthrift) has installed a remanufactured, heavy duty auto trans in his Turbo PT that includes a Phantom Grip. He beat the bushes and encouraged a rebuilder to develope the whole deal. Tommy's out of town for a little while so feedback will have to wait a bit.

Here's some sites with info: http://www.phantomgrip.com/how_it_works.htm
http://www.rivergate5speed.com/phant...p-commets.html

The way they talk, it's the best thing since sliced bread. I wonder if it can do all they say. The comments about torque steer intrest me most. I wonder, too why auto manufacturers don't use something like this. There may be some draw backs???
Old 29 Jan 2005, 11:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

I read somewhere that the new Neon Turbo's came with a Quaife Posi?
Old 31 Jan 2005, 06:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kirby

I have spoken with some folks that had experience with the phantom grip and other "locker" type arrangements. According to their experience it is a mixed bag.

Lockers are not positrack, they do not distribute the power to the wheel with grip as posi does. Lockers do as advertised, they lock to give a solid axle. This works in some situations, but may give mixed results in others. (There is a reason that NO manifacture of automobiles puts a locker differential on their stock product.)

This is second hand, but I have heard that locker mechanisms may cause extra wear and stress in the differential, and can be less than smooth and noisey in their operation.

I would like to know more also, since it is now the only option short of a $3k overhaul to have anything but the stock "one wheel drive" that comes with an autostick.[8)]
Is the Phantom Grip a locker? I would not run a street car with a locker. A locker diff has keyways that actually lock up. I don't think this qualifies.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 31 Jan 2005, 08:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

no not a "detroit locker"
the phantom grip applys force to the pinion gear shaft inside the diff trying to keep it from turning. as soon as it warms up outside i will be pulling the tranny to do a clutch/flywheel and may pop the phantom in to give it a try.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 09:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RallyDRock

no not a "detroit locker"
the phantom grip applys force to the pinion gear shaft inside the diff trying to keep it from turning. as soon as it warms up outside i will be pulling the tranny to do a clutch/flywheel and may pop the phantom in to give it a try.
What clutch/flywheel set up are you going to use?
Old 01 Feb 2005, 12:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

Unorthodox Racing's custom flywheel/Falcon windowed kevlar disk, not sure if i am going to have it with a sprung hub or soild
once it is made i will post the pics.
Old 01 Feb 2005, 01:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Cal,
Thanks for the web site. I don't have enough experience with the Phantom to give it a yes for my PT. I would hope that someone would have the need and courage to install it and give a "can I live with this" review. Like I originally said, the folks like myself that have the autostick are stuck with one wheel drive save this Phantom Grip. To greatly simplify it's function, it sounds like the Phantom is just a kinder and gentler locker. (They even use the term in their website description.)

Questions:
Heat buildup; in the diff when the Phantom inhibits rotation to perform it's "limited slip" function. How much stress does this cause, will it make more frequent diff gear oil changes necessary? Can the gears take the stress over the long haul?
Lock up; will the locking of the unit cause any changes that can be detrimental to handling? What RPM or stress will cause the locking. Driving the freeway may be quite different than pedal to the metal time, this one I use for business.
Stress; Can our axles and torque converter handle two drive wheels and 40+ more horses? Did Tommy have the best idea by swaping out for a built tranny, gears and all, with the Phantom as one of the extras?

Posi and variable differentials in today's automobiles redistribute torque, as opposed to slowly locking up the drive wheels. The Phantom may be all we get, but in this day and age it shouldn't be.[8)]