PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pivot Baby Turbo Timer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2005, 05:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pivot Baby Turbo Timer?

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of buying a turbo timer for my car, and I heard of the Pivot Super Baby Timer. I was wondering if anyone had one, or had any comments about them...[:I]

They sell them on eBay for $50![8D]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
Old 03 Feb 2005, 10:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

It looks good to me, but how do U know about quality and reliability?? In this age of solid state stuff it is probably as good as anyone else.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 04 Feb 2005, 10:16 am
Young Cruiser

Dont even waste your money on a turbo timer.

See my sig, never had a problem with a Turbo. Just dont hammer the hell out of the car and then shut it off. Use synthetic oil, and common sense. THe mitsu turbo on my Shadow had 193K miles on it. I just did the engine over and put a larger Garret turbo on it but the shaft was nice and tight on the mitsu and it is still servicable. I shut the car down and dont worry about it unless I was on it hard, then I might let it idle for 30 seconds and shut it off. Turbo timers are just a waste of money. Remember too, the turbo on the 2.4 is water cooled and even when shut down there is coolant flow thru it from convection. Also Chrysler is the leader bar none in experience with turbos, they sold 1.5 million of em in the 80's and 90's, so I think they learned a little over the years

Mike
90 Daytona ES Turbo 2.5 NPR Cooler, S60 50 Trim, A568 Getrag 3\" Exh +40\'s 3bar Map
90 Daytona Shelby VNT 2.2 T4 A568 Getrag Needs work
00 Durango 5.9 SLT+
02 WJ Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7
03 PTGT Black 5 spd, Stg1, Mopar BOV
Old 05 Feb 2005, 06:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Mike, I think you're right! [8D]

When I do get on the car hard, I always let it cool for a minute or until the cooling fans cycle through once. That should be more than enough time. Thanks for the advice guys!

Now if my income tax would hurry up and arrive, I can buy Stage1! I would buy more, but I have to pay down the guitar while I still have no interest! lol[}]
Old 08 Feb 2005, 05:04 pm
Young Cruiser

I think that the timers are a great idea. Not only does a timer add the convience factor of being able to shut off the car,lock the doors,and walk away as you vehicle sits and continues to cool it's self down. But the nicer timers on the market will have many other features as well. ex. Air Fuel Ratio, Voltage Meter, Boost Guage, just to name a few.
A good timer can also register how had the vehicle has been driven and adjust it's cool down period accordingly.
You have to ask yourself a few questions before purchasing one.
1. Do I need one?
2. Would I like the convience of a timer?
3. What information would I like to display.

You can find some relly good timers like Greddy, Apexi, Blitz for well under $100
I have both a Greddy and a Apexi on like both of them.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 08 Feb 2005, 09:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Naw dude, the turbo timers are a waste of money. Does it actually kill you to sit in the car thru 1 song on the radio or CD? And by the way, when you set the turbo timer, take out the key, lock the doors and walk away, you are in a temporary unsafe period. You just walked away with the alarm not activate. It's not gonna arm if the ignition is on. Plus you have bypassed the sentry key immobilizer. A thief who knows what he's doing, can in the time the car is still on, open the door, jimmy the ignition and drive off. And if you think they can't open your PT that fast, I locked myself out of old my 2001 PT twice and both times I used a coat hanger and opened the car in about 20 seconds. If you use a turbo timer or aftermarket car starter (not Mopar's) you are practically putting a sign on your car stating "Come steal me! It's alot easier now!"
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 09 Feb 2005, 08:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Not exactly correct. The ignition switch is off!I CAN activate my alarm while the timer is in place. If the vehicle was in the unsafe state that you say it is then I would be able to take advantage of all of the accessories on the vehicle like the windows ,radio , i would even be able to shift the vehicle from park. The timer has nothing to do with the the code on the sentry key. That being said "Dude" if someone wanted to steal my car. I dont think that whether I have a turbotimer or not is going to make a damn bit of difference to a thief
Everything that a thief would have to do steal a car without a timer he would have to do to one with.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 09 Feb 2005, 09:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Yeah but the fact is the car is much harder to steal because of the sentry key immobilizer. The turbo timer bypasses it and makes it alot easier. And the ignition maybe off, but if the engine is running turning the power to the rest of the car is a snap. Plus the factory alarm will not arm with the engine running. This fact has been proven before and is the main reason DC has adviced against using turbo timers and remote starters. Look, I understand you like the turbo timer. I also thought about getting one, but the risk is too high. Plus like I said before, it's not gonna kill my to listen to an extra song on the radio or CD. 3 minutes of time is not worth it to me to lower the security on my car. Period.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 13 Feb 2005, 04:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

You are also supposed to hook up the ebrake switch, which, if disengaged will kill the car. So...you can't drive away with the ebrake on, therefore, the theif will disengage the ebrake, and will kill the car. If you had an automatic, and you were cunning, you could put a switch on the brake switch, so if the key isn't in it will kill the car, because you have to press the brake to take it out of park.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 05 Aug 2011, 03:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Pivot Baby Turbo Timer?

I was going to get one, If any of you remember my thread about it. I got the exact same conflicting answers.

"yes, they are great!"

"No they make your car unsafe"

It's all just perogative.

Ive ridden in some buddies cars that have some real nice ones, they wire into their widebands and everything the wideband sees the turbo timer sees (kind of redundant but oh well). They do work, but the questions are....How hard are you on your PT?......and........ How much of a rush are you really in?

I opted not to get one, I like Notorious BIG and Tupac, so I just let one of their songs ride before I get out and turn the car off.

But Im OCD about it, so I give it at least a 45 second cool down period wether Ive been WOT or not.

$0.02

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod