Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BOV yes or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Mar 2005, 03:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default BOV yes or no?

Well I have a chance to put on in any advantage other than that "stupid sound" sorry... I find that noise annoying.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 04:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptgt2point4

That sound strikes fear into the hearts of all people who think a tin can exhaust makes their car faster!

And some have adjustable springs that can raise boost! hehe just my 411 on it [?]
Old 14 Mar 2005, 04:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Put one on mine just for grins to see what all the hub bub is about. Just a noise to me, which does nothing for me, but my 9 yr old daughter just thinks it's tooooo cool and asks to hear it all the time so she can tell all her friends about the cool sound her dad's "Turbo Power" PT Cruiser makes. Somehow she never was too impressed about the REALLY cool sounding flowmaster exhaust system behind my 383 fuel injected Dodge. [:I]
Old 14 Mar 2005, 05:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Personally, nothing strikes fear like a flowmaster exhaust... but flowmasters and a blow-off, watch it. I believe that the blow off valve takes some of the pressure off of the turbo, helping to last longer and run better.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 06:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Your stock set up already has a BOV that vents back into the intake tract so the sound is muffled. The Morpar BOV plate is added on to the stock one and vents to the outside and the noise is more noticeable.

The stock BOV is a bit restricted by the small size of the plumbing so the Mopar BOV plate will allow more efficent venting. The Stage 1 upgrade is supposed to be designed to be used with the BOV plate (but not absolutly necessary). There are some other, more expensive aftermarket BOVs that are adjustable. These may be a little over the top for a street driven car.

I could go on about why turbos need a BOV vent at all, but that's another story.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 08:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2step...The stock BOV is a bit restricted by the small size of the plumbing so the Mopar BOV plate will allow more efficent venting. The Stage 1 upgrade is supposed to be designed to be used with the BOV plate (but not absolutly necessary)...
Go for it! [8)] From everything I've read, it "may help prolong the life of your turbo". [8D]
Old 15 Mar 2005, 12:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

If you are planning on raising the boost higher then you will need to have that stupid sound. The HKS SSQV bov I have allows my turbo to spool up faster and wiil prolong the life of my turbo as I am running higher boost.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 15 Mar 2005, 01:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to hoopdiewagon

springs are adjusted in the wga...not the bov
Old 15 Mar 2005, 01:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hoopdiewagon

springs are adjusted in the wga...not the bov
Not unless you have a Forge Motorsports or Boomba Racing (like mine) BOV! They come with different spring to vent at different pressures. Mine has 13, 16, and 19lbs springs.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 15 Mar 2005, 02:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Hoopdie,
The stock surge valve/bov does have a spring in it that will open up under too much boost, around 18psi from what I have gathered from all those boosting that far, and it will leak off boost robbing your PT of power. The wga does also have a @#$% spring that isn't worth #@%$%. Upgrades to the wga are available now through AGP and turbochargers.com for the PT if you have s1.
Please see Forum Guidelines regarding signature image sizing.