PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PT with p0340 code

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2017, 06:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 PT with p0340 code

Looking for some advice on an 04 Cruiser, basic. Got it in 05 with 12,000 miles on it. I've put a total of 140, on it and have replaced a few things. It died on me at a light and couldn't get it started. Got a wrecker to haul it home and hired a mobil mechanic to come look at it. He told me about the code and said he could fix it. $200 later and it still will not start. After looking at the forum, I determined he never unhooked the battery. So I decided to do it myself, at 70, I don't like working on cars anymore, but this is pretty simple. I unhooked the battery for about 20 minutes and tried again. The code cleared, but when i Tried to crank it, it still will not start. Then I got the p0340 code again! Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 06:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: 04 PT with p0340 code

Why did the mobile mechanic charge you 200 hundred dollars? Did he change a part? If so, what did he change? The code you are getting is for the camshaft position sensor.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 07:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT with p0340 code

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTinTex View Post
Looking for some advice on an 04 Cruiser, basic. Got it in 05 with 12,000 miles on it. I've put a total of 140, on it and have replaced a few things. It died on me at a light and couldn't get it started. Got a wrecker to haul it home and hired a mobil mechanic to come look at it. He told me about the code and said he could fix it. $200 later and it still will not start. After looking at the forum, I determined he never unhooked the battery. So I decided to do it myself, at 70, I don't like working on cars anymore, but this is pretty simple. I unhooked the battery for about 20 minutes and tried again. The code cleared, but when i Tried to crank it, it still will not start. Then I got the p0340 code again! Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor...but this shouldn't keep your car from running...it would just put it into limp mode.
It's possible your timing belt broke.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 16 Jan 2017, 08:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Suggest trying to pull the camshaft sensor off, start trying to turn over the engine and see if the camshaft is turning as LionPT posted. If it is turning I have the possible causes of P0340 listed below.

P0340 - No Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Failure Conditions:

Possible Causes:

1. Camshaft Position Sensor connector is damaged, open or it is shorted
2. Camshaft Position Sensor signal circuit is open or shorted to ground or to battery voltage or 5 volt circuit
3. Camshaft Position Sensor 5 volt circuit is open or shorted to ground or to battery voltage
4. Camshaft Position Sensor ground circuit is open
5. Camshaft Position Sensor is damaged or has failed
6. PCM has failed

You might want to check and see if the Camshaft Sensor is bad or the wiring going to it. On one of my PT Cruisers when the camshaft sensor stopped working properly it would not start. On the other PT Cruiser it was at an intersection and just died on my wife.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 16 Jan 2017 at 08:11 pm.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakenocents View Post
Why did the mobile mechanic charge you 200 hundred dollars? Did he change a part? If so, what did he change? The code you are getting is for the camshaft position sensor.
They charged $55 for the diagnostics and $155 to put the new sensor on. I got screwed, I know. But if I can do this myself why pay any more. Thanks.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor...but this shouldn't keep your car from running...it would just put it into limp mode.
It's possible your timing belt broke.

Timing belt is less than two years old.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 08:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Suggest trying to pull the camshaft sensor off, start trying to turn over the engine and see if the camshaft is turning as LionPT posted. If it is turning I have the possible causes of P0340 listed below.

P0340 - No Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Failure Conditions:

Possible Causes:

1. Camshaft Position Sensor connector is damaged, open or it is shorted
2. Camshaft Position Sensor signal circuit is open or shorted to ground or to battery voltage or 5 volt circuit
3. Camshaft Position Sensor 5 volt circuit is open or shorted to ground or to battery voltage
4. Camshaft Position Sensor ground circuit is open
5. Camshaft Position Sensor is damaged or has failed
6. PCM has failed

You might want to check and see if the Camshaft Sensor is bad or the wiring going to it. On one of my PT Cruisers when the camshaft sensor stopped working properly it would not start. On the other PT Cruiser it was at an intersection and just died on my wife.
Wow, that's quite a list. I might need to call another mechanic. Thanks.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTinTex View Post
Wow, that's quite a list. I might need to call another mechanic. Thanks.
What brand camshaft sensor did the mechanic put in your PT Cruiser? Did the mechanic put it on the receipt?
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
What brand camshaft sensor did the mechanic put in your PT Cruiser? Did the mechanic put it on the receipt?
No, he did not put the brand on the receipt. After reading a few posts about this, I might try to get the right brand.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 12:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: 04 PT with p0340 code

By the way, welcome as a new member to the Pt forum. Did the car ever run, even for a short time after the diagnosis and subsequent cam sensor replacement? If it did not, I would think you could recover the cost for the part and any labor fee since it might have been diagnosed incorrectly by this mobile mechanic. I can see him charging a diagnostic fee but 200 dollars and your car still is the same? That's a shame, shame on him. I guess that's water under the bridge now. Did the tech clear the original diagnostic code for you? Not sure whether disconnecting the battery will clear a cam sensor code, others on here would know. I believe some codes are stored in a non-volatile memory and have to be reset with a scan tool capable of resetting dtc's. I do see as I reread your post you were able to get the code to clear but it came back.

Last edited by Imakenocents; 17 Jan 2017 at 12:09 am.