• 1 Post By Scott2017
  • 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By rob302
  • 1 Post By Scott2017

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2017, 10:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 ignition or brain?

My crusier has had an intermittent problem. When I turn the key off and take it out, the car continues to run. My radio display doesn't light up in the on position but it does in the accessory position. This sounds like an ignition switch issue to me. Is there anything else it could be, ie a control modual, etc...? I don't want to buy unnecessary parts or do unnecessary repairs. I just thought I'd ask the experts and those with more skill and experience. Thanks for any input you can provide.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 ignition or brain?

Welcome to the forum

You should start an introduction thread joining this forum. I am sure you read the new member Threads?
Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum

For DIY, 1st thing is to use any product specifically labeled for ignition switch or lock lubricant follow exactly the direction for use.

If the trouble is still there with the use of a Diagnostic scanning tool check the diagnostic connector for any and all DTC (trouble codes).
chuzz likes this.

http://sacramentoraceway.com/
ADHD=Auto Detailing & Hotrodding Dude

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Feb 2017 at 10:35 am.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2017 View Post
My crusier has had an intermittent problem. When I turn the key off and take it out, the car continues to run. My radio display doesn't light up in the on position but it does in the accessory position. This sounds like an ignition switch issue to me. Is there anything else it could be, ie a control modual, etc...? I don't want to buy unnecessary parts or do unnecessary repairs. I just thought I'd ask the experts and those with more skill and experience. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Welcome to the forum. You should introduce yourself and tell us more about your PT in the new members section

To expound a little on what NitroPT suggested, Your PT has a very thin plastic shaft that runs from the lock/cylinder on the right side of the column, underneath to the to actual ignition switch on the left side of the column. Sometimes, this shaft become worn and doesn't quite turn the ignition switch on or off.

If the lock cylinder lubricant brings you no joy, and if you are "handy", you might be able to try this.

Remove the ignition switch from the left side of the steering column. Leave the key in the cylinder (near the SKIM) and plug the loose ignition switch back in. Then use a flat head screw driver to turn the ignition switch on and start the PT. And then turn the ignition switch off and see if the engine shuts off as it should.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Feb 2017 at 11:07 am.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 11:21 am
Senior Cruiser

inspect this

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
does the key have less resistance when you turn it? sometimes these break:
Ignition Switch Actuator Pin Assembly
when mine broke, the key would turn far enough to make the idiot lights come on, but wouldn't turn to the start position due to the added force of the return spring in the ignition switch.

part is circled in red, broken metal is highlighted in yellow

http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tun...pin/295435_0_0

buy a new one, or make your own (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
you can get the actuator anywhere, autozone, napa, etc. Ignition Switch Actuator Pin Assembly

my actuator broke a day after i drove 100 miles to a concert with a car full of friends. i though about what would have happened if it broke a day earlier. the wimpy design made me want a permanent fix, not a stupid replacement. so 40k miles ago, i made my own. i also got rid of that stupid button you press to take the key out. lets see this break:

Old 22 Feb 2017, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

hahaha you guys....

read the first post again. (clues given there).

There are specific reasons at times why I do not go into great details when recommending things!

http://sacramentoraceway.com/
ADHD=Auto Detailing & Hotrodding Dude
Old 22 Feb 2017, 11:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'll figure this posting thing out eventually. Thanks guys. This all sounds like good advice. Nothing mentioned about control moduals. I'll start on this right after lunch and a short nap.