Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Shelf Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2005, 09:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Rear Shelf Question

Id like to make my rear shelf smooth and shiny. My question is: to fiber glass it ( the fuzzy side) can i just apply the fiberglass gel to the carpet that is there? or do i have to get the fiberglass sheeting and go all out?

help please.
Old 03 Aug 2005, 01:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Or get one made out of wood!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 03 Aug 2005, 09:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here ya go...check out the sites....

http://home.earthlink.net/~glen2pat/id2.html

http://www.geocities.com/dnaske/NYKruiser

Old 03 Aug 2005, 09:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well i would like to keep it cheap. and i dont want wood.
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 04 Aug 2005, 12:17 am
Young Cruiser

You know what I would love to see? If you put in a flat floor like these beautiful wood ones and fiberglassed the rear foot wells into sub boxes. With an amp under the driver seat you could make it real stealth and you wouldn't loose any space by having huge sub boxes. If I didn't need my back seats and had some extra cash to burn, I would do it.

Old 05 Aug 2005, 02:45 am
Cool Cruiser

Her Highness would leave a brick if i totally got rid of the back seats.

but i still dont know if fiberglass gelly will stick to the carpeted side of the shelf, without melting through it.
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 05 Aug 2005, 03:22 am
Regular Cruiser

I was wanting to do the same thing with the rear shelf. Same concerns about pricing etc. I was wondering if maybe the carpet on it was removeable, then could be fiberglassed or maybe even recarpeted with a close match to my exterior but am too chicken to screw with mine that is still in great condition.

Hmmm... maybe I need to make a trip to the junkyard to see if there are any out there?

BTW. I am new here, so hello everyone!

2001 Ltd. Ed. Inferno Red PT
Old 05 Aug 2005, 04:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Well as far as i can tell, the carpet wont come off. I guess i could "shave" it off but that still leaves teh question of "how to make it smooth" this is a spare shelf so im a little more willing to fubar it.

i dont think bondo will stick as well as fiber/gelly/resin
but i also dont think that there is a sandable primer thick enough to be worth while over the carpet.

HMM
Old 08 Aug 2005, 02:15 am
Regular Cruiser

I was thinking about the carpet... was wondering if to make a mold you could put something temporary over the shelf to make the mold from fiberglass or something. For instance use a large back and wrap it around the shelf, then apply the mix over it, let harden, remove and trim as necessary? then your shelf will be fine still and you can use velcro strips under the fiberglass when your done painting it?

Sounds like a plan, although I haven't tried it yet (going hunting for a spare shelf wed).

If you try it and it works, let me know! [^]
Old 08 Aug 2005, 03:52 am
Cool Cruiser

im currently working on the template for the lettering. but ill start on the shelf itself this week sometime.