Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Custom mount Double din possible??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2006, 02:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to douknowme12321
Default Custom mount Double din possible??

Does anyone know how much space there is behind the center console bezel? Im planning on seeing if there is some way I can secure a double din radio where the stock radio is. I have a 2005 stock radio right now, Now I have seen pictures where people have relocated the switch panel right below the stock radio to the empty pocket right below where it is now. Now i have taken off my center console bezel and saw that the switch panel underneath looks to be a separate box. Does anyone have any experience with this box and how deep it is? im guessing anyone who has replaced their stock radio is able to see how deep the switch box is? If it is about the same depth as the stock radio I dont think there would be any problem, Just have to figure out a way to securely mount it behind there. If anyone can help me with this first i will be able to try and think out the process a little further. Thanks guys and I appreciate and response I get..

**EDIT**
Sorry also wanted to ask if it is ok for me to remove the stock radio to get a better look behind there and replace without a problem? I remember my old car needed a code from the dealer and i dont want to go through that right about now. Will I be okay removing it, and putting it right back even if i disconnect it to mesure a bit? Thanks again guys
Tito
Old 26 Mar 2006, 04:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Not my actual picture, jus borrowed it. But this is what I'm basically looking to do, crappy photoshop but sumthin i thru together in like 5 mins? do u guys think there is enough room behind there? I need about 7 inches of clearance since the unit itself is 6.5 inches deep.. Has anyone ever tried anythin like this? what would be the easiest and best way to securely mount it behind the trim? thanks again guys.. see ya
Old 26 Mar 2006, 04:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

In theory, everything is possible...look at the manual sketch:

If you remove the center and replace the other switchs elsewhere,it's maybe possible...
The you can smooth the whole thing (The pic it's only with a single radio for example)

Hope it helps
Old 26 Mar 2006, 10:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hey striker thanks for the info but what did u use to smooth it over??
Old 27 Mar 2006, 03:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Body filler or polyester to integrate the elements. (I find this image on the web)