PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
driver's recliner handle broke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2006, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Carchrism5
Default driver's recliner handle broke

my driver's side recliner handle no longer works, when i pull it all the way up the seat will not move, anyone had this before?
Old 29 Mar 2006, 03:13 am
Regular Cruiser

Nope, not I, but does the handle slide out or feel loose?
Old 01 Aug 2010, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: driver's recliner handle broke

my handle broke all the way off on mine. is there a cheap way to fix are do i half to replace the entire seat
Old 05 Sep 2010, 05:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Bump on this thread,

My drivers seat recliner handle sheared off on my 01 recently, and its stuck in a less than comfy position,

Idea's?
Old 07 Sep 2010, 10:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

On the 2001 - 2005 seats: There are TWO recliner mechanisms on each of the front seats, both outboard and inboard.
The handle is directly attached to the outboard recliner AND also to a cable that connects to the inboard recliner.
When the handle is raised it unlocks both recliners.
How this cable is attached at both ends to the recliner mechanisms is a poor design.
Every seat I have worked on I see:
The factory snaps the cable into its receptors AND THEN secures it in place with a cable tie.
Early on I discovered that if the cable tie falls off,,, the cable will fall out of its receptor,,, and the seat will not recline.
Please see picture below, the red arrows indicates the cable connection, you will see the white cable tie.

If the plastic handle has broken off replace it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Thank you,
MrMike
(941) 922-5070
Mr. Mikes Leather Upholstery for PT Cruiser, Fiero, Kit-Car, Camaro and Firebird
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReclinerCable.jpg (63.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 08 Sep 2010, 05:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

MrMike,

Welcome to the forum. We can certainly use an expert in the interior accessories part of the forum and we couldn't be happier that it is you. Thanks for your time to help answer a question or two about parts most of never come in contact with. Your shop and your work is well known to most of us that have been around awhile and we recommend you whenever someone asks about the interior of the PT. As for me, I've seen a lot of your work in person, good friend of mine from Tampa is "Dragon PT" and I have about 50 yards of purple welt on everything that it would go around.
Old 08 Sep 2010, 01:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
On the 2001 - 2005 seats: There are TWO recliner mechanisms on each of the front seats, both outboard and inboard.
The handle is directly attached to the outboard recliner AND also to a cable that connects to the inboard recliner.
When the handle is raised it unlocks both recliners.
How this cable is attached at both ends to the recliner mechanisms is a poor design.
Every seat I have worked on I see:
The factory snaps the cable into its receptors AND THEN secures it in place with a cable tie.
Early on I discovered that if the cable tie falls off,,, the cable will fall out of its receptor,,, and the seat will not recline.
Please see picture below, the red arrows indicates the cable connection, you will see the white cable tie.

If the plastic handle has broken off replace it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Thank you,
MrMike
(941) 922-5070
Mr. Mikes Leather Upholstery for PT Cruiser, Fiero, Kit-Car, Camaro and Firebird

In My case, the handle itself did not break, but the metal shaft? has sheared off flush where it comes out of the seat. It looks like it was really not designed especially well by the location of the break and where the handle screw stops/bottoms.

Before it broke it was working perfectly and never even gave me a hint the shaft was going to break.
I suspect my daughter got her seat belt tangled on it and pull it to hard or something. It fell off just after she borrowed the car for a few days.
Old 08 Sep 2010, 03:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have some of recliner mechanisms (if for a 2001 - 2005).
$25 + shipping.
If interested call me at 941-922-5070.
Picture of this part attached.
Thank you,
MrMike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT_Recliner.jpg (67.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 19 Jul 2011, 10:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thought I would bump this thread up since I have just noticed my new-to-me '01 has the exact same problem - the splined part of the seatback release pivot has sheared right off. Nowhere to reattach the handle, if I knew where it was. This is a really, really dumb design. Since it's two years later, I'm guessing MrMike doesn't have anymore recliner mechanisms.

Two Questions:

1. Does the recliner level just slide onto the spline, or it is retained in some way? I am considering making a Good Enough mechanisn for now.

2. It looks like there are a couple bolts up the seat back itself - if one were to replace the mechanism, are these bolts accessible without removing the seat back cover?

Much appreciated...
Old 20 Jul 2011, 06:24 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
Thought I would bump this thread up since I have just noticed my new-to-me '01 has the exact same problem - the splined part of the seatback release pivot has sheared right off. Nowhere to reattach the handle, if I knew where it was. This is a really, really dumb design. Since it's two years later, I'm guessing MrMike doesn't have anymore recliner mechanisms.

Two Questions:

1. Does the recliner level just slide onto the spline, or it is retained in some way? I am considering making a Good Enough mechanisn for now.

2. It looks like there are a couple bolts up the seat back itself - if one were to replace the mechanism, are these bolts accessible without removing the seat back cover?

Much appreciated...
Hi, I still have not gotten mine fixed which is really a pita, When my guy drives the car he needs a tiny bit more recline whereas I need it fully upright.

The handle slides over a split splined shaft and it has a center screw to keep the handle attached.
Mine broke off flush on the end of the shaft. It has just enough of the split to insert a big screw driver but its nearly impossible to move due to the spring pressure.

I have no clue on question 2
I am still watching for either a junk seat to salvage a shaft or perhaps even a complete one as long as it is the matching leather (dream big)