Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shift lock mechanism

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2007, 05:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Shift lock mechanism

I've had a recurring problem with the car not coming out of Park. My driveway is not very steep, but nonetheless I got stuck a month or so ago. The tow truck came out, and lifted up the rear end, I say wait a second. I jumped in and was able to get it out of park.

Now today it happened again and I'll have to have it towed to the shop. Anyone else have this issue? I'm at 45K miles and dealer won't cover it under warranty. What I WANT to do, is disconnect that feature. short cuts?

Steve

PS-since that last time it happened, I have been putting it in Neutral, setting parking brake, releasing pressure, and then putting it into park.
Old 09 Jan 2007, 06:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

not sure about disconnecting it... you mean the 'feature' that won't let you take out the key unless the tranny is in Park?

Looks like the problem is your driveway has just enough slope to put a load on the 'park' gear, and you can't pull it out because of the pressure.

Easy but expensive answer: have it towed to your dealer; attach a blank check, and figure your kids probably won't miss the semester or two of college.

Sleazy trick: when parking: in Neutral : set parking brake. make sure the car won't roll. then shut off engine. (one click counter-clockwise... engine off)

Then put it in park and remove key.

Maybe having the engine running and passing thru R on the way to P 'preloads' the drivetrain, putting extra stress on the parking pawl.

Or maybe back in? Have the other end of the car facing downhill?

Just tossing some Ideas...

--Check Engine and Transmission mounts?
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 09 Jan 2007, 10:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No problem with key. Just can't get out of park. There is a pendulum of some sort which keeps the car from rolling down a hill if the transmission fails. I hate this feature.

I like the idea of parking backwards because it looks so cool!

(But would probably have the same issue)

Sometimes is "catches" a little, and then barely slides into drive. So there must be some sort of catch mechanism. I'm gonna pull off the shifter knob (AT transmission) and check it out. and in case anybody wants to chime in, yes my foot is on the break pedal)

<font size=\"2\"><b><u>2004 Graphite Turbo Platinum Edition</u></b></font id=\"size2\">
<font size=\"1\">Stubby Antenna - <font color=\"purple\">Purple</font id=\"purple\"> L.E.D. Washer Lights - Custom Rear Turbo Emblem -
<font color=\"purple\">Purple</font id=\"purple\"> Undercar Lights - <font color=\"purple\">Purple</font id=\"purple\"> Airbag Flame - Chrome Door Handle Inserts -
Flossed - <font color=\"purple\">Purple</font id=\"purple\"> Flames - Visor Logo - <font color=\"purple\">Purple</font id=\"purple\"> Center Console</font id=\"size1\">

<font size=\"1\"><b>Click here for images -----&gt; </b></font id=\"size1\">
Old 10 Jan 2007, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The problem is the slope. My understanding is that park is like a pin that slides in, and on a slope, the weight of the car pushes that pin against side of hole it's in, making pulling the pin out very hard to do.
I bet you don't have the problem in a level parking lot, do you?
Sorry, don't have a cure, except to try to find more level parking places.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

with the emergency brake pulled way up then put the car in park do you still have the problem ?? [:I]
Old 10 Jan 2007, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobs turbo pt

with the emergency brake pulled way up then put the car in park do you still have the problem ?? [:I]
I've been doing that since the last time it did this. Pull up in driveway. Put in neutral, holding brake pedal. Pull e-brake. release foot letting e-brake take the force, then put into park.

This time even that didn't work. This morning (6:30am 30 degrees) I jacked up the rear end two feet on jack stands to make the car level. Still won't come out of park. Going to have to tow it in I guess. I'm just out of warranty and dealer says it could be $600-$700. I HATE THIS FEATURE!!!!!!! I'm gonna pull the knob off tonight in the very slight chance there is something I can do in there. If I knew where that pin was, I'd cut it. [xx(]

Old 11 Jan 2007, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

wow that stinks !! keep us posted !!