Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Console flood lamp replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2007, 09:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Console flood lamp replacement

I have a 2004 GT. It has what I think is called the console flood lamp which is under the center of the instrument panel and illuminates the cup holder and console. It has gone out. How do I get to it to replace it? Not really necessary but it is annoying as it doesn't work. I used to have a Honda Goldwing and their web site helped me fix a lot of things. Your is invaluable and I eagerly await your replies. Thanks, Ray
Old 16 Apr 2007, 06:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Console flood lamp replacement

Ray,

Good question. I just took a look at it and can see that it's inclosed in an oblong black piece that looks like it prys out. There's a really small tab on one end and when I move the tab the whole oblong black square does move a bit and I think it will drop right down to replace the bulb but mine is stuck pretty tight and didn't want to force it. It's working now and don't want to break it in case someone comes along and says that you get to it through the center console, which might not be a bad idea. Removing the center console is easy and from there all the panels can come out to give access to the inside where the light might be.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin,

Mine moves just a bit also, but I too did not want to force it. I was hoping that someone else had already replaced theirs. It might be the best to go at it from the console.

Ray
Old 15 Nov 2010, 03:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Console flood lamp replacement

A friend of mine has an '02 and has subscribed to All Data..it's a web site that has EVERY factory detail you can get on many vehicles, he gave me his PW & the instructions for that light tells me to carefully pry the lens off to access the bulb. I haven't tried it yet...I haven't noticed any light in that area, maybe I better look!
Old 15 Nov 2010, 03:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just pry it from the side with your finger nail (you'll feel the tab, located on the right) and it just comes right out.

Funny thing, I accidentally pulled it out looking for a place to install a USB input. Comes out easily and pops right back into place.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 08:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Console flood lamp replacement

Well, I just went out to check this light. It was out...it wasn't THAT easy to get out....at least not the way I did it! I used a screw driver 'cause I couldn't move by hand; so, now it's broken But! I did change the bulb..FWIW..it's the same bulb that are in the gauges..minus the base...just pull the bulb from the base, when you get the lens out there is a small "hood" that you need to move back to expose the bulb.
Not sure why it would be called a flood light, it puts out a nice Green haze that lights up the coin holder & cup holders. Now I just need to figure out how to get mine to stay in place...
BTW, a SMALL screw driver would be perfect to get the lens out..insert it in the small opening on the right side and pry down carefully.

Last edited by BladeRunner; 15 Nov 2010 at 08:50 pm.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 09:28 am
Cool Cruiser

YOk..I'm more awake now I didn't break the light afterall ...I forgot to put the hood back on
Its all good now...
Old 02 Dec 2010, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ill be replacing mine this weekend as it just went out as well.
Old 02 Dec 2010, 11:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

do all models have this light? I can't seem to find where it would be, I have a 2004 base model 5 speed. Since I'm changing the cargo area light tomorrow I thought I'd change this too if I have it. Never had a light there since I've owned my car and didn't know there was one there until now LOL

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 02 Dec 2010, 11:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With a base model, you might not have the light but to see it you need to get right down next to the bottom of the center console and look for a little black oblong opening recessed in the console itself. When ON,it lights up the double cup holder on the floor console.