Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Dash Kits

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2002, 06:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dash Kits

Has anyone installed any of these. If so, what wood or style did you choose and how do you fell about the look for the price. I'm heading towards the Burlwood, but $200 seems much to me.

Thanks,
PTPaul

Old 29 May 2013, 11:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Dash Kits

i was just looking for a few answers to the same question myself. both my wife and i want these kits, but at $160 and $190 ya I'd like to know the same thing... are they any good?
Old 30 May 2013, 01:20 am
Senior Cruiser

What! Like this?

For 2001 to 2005 years, you will only find used or occasional new old stock. Time was when nice molded-fitting interior dash kits were available. Flat vinyl applique kits are still marketed. Soonercruiser, here on the forum, had some fine rosewood details on his 2nd gen PT.

Pictured is a eight piece set in American walnut wood that I located on eBay and was no bargain at nearly the original $250 catalog pricing.
The quality was fine. Mounting, while easy, requires care. Unseen in picture are the door handle and auto-console trim pieces. This was a WoodView product; there were other manufacturers.

Good luck finding the three dash covers. I've seen odd combinations offered like the driver side and center, but not passenger side. Kits were offered with the center dash and door handles, while separate kits had the left and right side dash covers.

Note, my wood dash is trimmed out also with thin chrome strips and custom made chrome AC vent knobs. I now also have Kirban rings around the 4 climate control knobs.

Flat vinyl style (click to enlarge)

JUSTICE EASY AS BREATH

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 30 May 2013 at 01:26 am. Reason: added photo
Old 30 May 2013, 08:22 am
Regular Cruiser

Santanadharma: I've been reading many of your posts and I really like what you've done to your PT, inside and out. Obviously you have put a lot of time and effort into it. I'm curious: what is that outlined in red in that photo?

I've been looking at these kits, too. Any opinions on something like this?

2005 N/A, Cool Vanilla
Adds
PT Wheel Centers, PT Valve Stem Caps
Mopar Chrome Exhaust Tip
Mopar Molded Rear Splash Guards
Mopar Rear Step Pad
K&N Filter
Pioneer Speakers/Receiver w/BlueTooth & HD Radio
Mopar Powered Sub
Old 30 May 2013, 09:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to PT_Panel

I bought this kit it is a burlwood, I have had it for several years now and no problems but you have to be VERY careful because where you stick it it is stuck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steve's 06 Cruiser 272.jpg (93.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Steve's 06 Cruiser 273.jpg (93.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Steve's 06 Cruiser 275.jpg (92.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 30 May 2013, 01:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Panel View Post
I bought this kit it is a burlwood, I have had it for several years now and no problems but you have to be VERY careful because where you stick it it is stuck.
Burlwood?? Looks more like marble. I like it. To my eye, the 2nd gen dash is more "moe-dern" than retro: your dash has its theme all tightly tied together. The gauge rings bling is b$tch$ng.

Fill us in. Who made or sold the dash kit?
Is it, as looks to me, slightly 3-D molded and not flat printed vinyl from a roll?

JUSTICE EASY AS BREATH
Old 30 May 2013, 03:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

You will basically get what you pay for. The "molded kits", if you can find them, tend to be the best looking, have bigger and fewer pieces and cost the most. The one in Sanatanadharma's post and my old install below are a couple of those nice ones. The lower priced kits would be the "flat kits" and tend to have a lot of smaller pieces. The flat kits aren't thin vinyl overlays, though. They are maybe 3/32" thick similar to stick-on emblems and flexible to follow one direction curves. They can't do compound curves, concave, convex, etc. The "flats" have a cheaper cost because all kits for any and all cars are made from the same flat stock and are simply die cut like a cookie. You can Google up all the various sellers and see what's included in each of their kits and believe me they vary all over the place. I have also put a "flat kit" in my wife's Grand Cherokee and it looks fairly good. It's been in for a few years and there are a few corners here and there that are starting to lift a little, though.

Old 30 May 2013, 05:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
What! Like this?

For 2001 to 2005 years, you will only find used or occasional new old stock. Time was when nice molded-fitting interior dash kits were available. Flat vinyl applique kits are still marketed. Soonercruiser, here on the forum, had some fine rosewood details on his 2nd gen PT.

Pictured is a eight piece set in American walnut wood that I located on eBay and was no bargain at nearly the original $250 catalog pricing.
The quality was fine. Mounting, while easy, requires care. Unseen in picture are the door handle and auto-console trim pieces. This was a WoodView product; there were other manufacturers.

Good luck finding the three dash covers. I've seen odd combinations offered like the driver side and center, but not passenger side. Kits were offered with the center dash and door handles, while separate kits had the left and right side dash covers.

Note, my wood dash is trimmed out also with thin chrome strips and custom made chrome AC vent knobs. I now also have Kirban rings around the 4 climate control knobs.

Flat vinyl style (click to enlarge)
That kit looks GREAT!. I want a carbon fiber one myself, if it came out looking half as well put together as yours, I would be happy
Old 08 Jun 2013, 11:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Dash Kits

I id the 2006 GT vert.
Fit great! Worked great! Looked better!

and ...QuickSilver 2.....the 2010 Couture Edition.
And....The 2005 Dream Cruiser Convertible....."My Chocolate Covered Cruiser".
Have now owned 4 PT Cruisers = fickle!.
Old 09 Jun 2013, 01:05 am
Senior Cruiser

This wood dash detailing in soonercruiser's second gen simply sings luxury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post

JUSTICE EASY AS BREATH

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Jun 2013 at 01:06 am. Reason: possessive takes apostrophy before "s"