PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

a source for shift knobs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2007, 08:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Question a source for shift knobs?

Does anybody know of a source for AUTOMATIC shift knobs? I've got a 2003 auto, and while I can find lots of nifty manual knobs, there's almost nothing out there to fit my baby. (Oh sure, I've located billiard 8-balls, but they don't work with my vision of my Cruiser, and there doesn't seem to be anything else.)

If all else fails, one friend suggested I simply use touchup paint to paint the original white plastic shift knob to match the exterior. Any opinions and/or suggestions about that idea are also welcome!
Old 21 Jul 2007, 08:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Smile Re: a source for shift knobs?

Here's one at Auto Truck Toys

Revelations PT Cruiser Chrome Billet Automatic Shifter Knob 03-Up - AutoTruckToys.com

And Flame ball
Shift Knobs for Automatics
Del Val PT Cruisers

Last edited by tpscruiser; 21 Jul 2007 at 08:32 pm.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 08:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: a source for shift knobs?

Welcome to www.flameball.com
Old 22 Jul 2007, 05:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hmmmm, not too fond of the flame-style shift knobs (they just wouldn't look right in my Cruiser), but Flameball's translucent blue one might do the trick--- it'd even go nicely with my jeweled dash knobs and doorlocks!

Thanks for the site!
Old 31 Oct 2007, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry...incorrect posting.

Last edited by vinzchlortho; 01 Nov 2007 at 10:42 am.
Old 08 Dec 2007, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey,

I got the chrome shifter knob, for an automatic 2007, from Autotrucktoys. It's really nice and reasonably easy to install. After the larger part of this item has been placed on the stick, you just slide the button into the hole. The only thing that bothers me is that there's noting holding it in place. True, I would have to roll the Cruiser to have it fall out, but has anybody experienced any rattling because it just sits there.

I also got the chrome door lock knobs from them. You pull up firmly while unscrewing counter clockwise. After about thirty revolutions, it becomes loose. Then, you have to pull up and wiggle. The bottom of the lock has a plastic nut on it that actually makes little marks on the surface of the door where it's pulled out. Not knowing this could cause you to stand there and twist until the cows come home. I know...the cows didn't come home but I sure twisted for a while.

Vince...
Old 09 Dec 2007, 10:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Yeah, I noticed that turning-till-the-cows-come-home bit about the lock knobs; I ended up so frustrated with the dang things not coming off, the next time my baby was in for servicing I just got the service techs to do it. (And from the looks of the originals they gave back to me afterwards, those knobs even gave the pros a hard time!)

I don't know about that Revel chrome shift knob; I'm really trying to keep any chrome to a bare minimum. Shucks, I'd be happy with simply having a knob the same paint color as my exterior, as opposed to that original white knob; I'm certainly not knocking other people's choices, but I just don't want a cueball, dice, or skulls.

My REAL fantasy is for either a wood or plastic wood-looking knob, to go with my woody panels. (And a matching wood steering wheel would look nice. And maybe baby-moon wheels, with the wide whitewalls. And yearly checks from the lottery people.....)
Old 09 Dec 2007, 10:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

I remember you telling me this and I always look, for you, when I'm out there shopping. Like you, I don't want too many exotics. The chrome shifter and door locks will do. As for the knob, why not get a small can of the replacement paint for the car and paint the original knob. As incapable as I am, I think I could do that. Hey, I got the door locks off...got something right.

I have the OEM driving lights in a box, sitting here, looking at me. Sometime soon, I'll open it.

Do you have the chrome exhaust cover? Not the one that just covers the pipe...the one that covers the pipe and part of the entire muffler. When you look from the back, it needs both covered or it still looks tacky. Until I get the correct one, I don't want to do just part of it. I think it makes it looks even worse that way.

I bought the rear shelf because it provides a bit of security for anything underneath it and the floor mat for the rear, is just to protect the carpet. I have always wondered about this scenario. One covers the item they want to protect, never to see it again (because it's covered) and for what reason. So it won't get dirty? It's never used and it's back there and who cares anyway...just clean it. That makes me think I bought the floor mat for looks or so I can say I have one. Shame, shame.

Oh, by the way, that little center piece on the shifter? The one that represents the button on the shifter? There may be a secondary benefit to this. Since it comes out, I could remove it, like the faceplate on stereos, and then you can't take the car out of "park". Of course, I'll misplace it and then I can't take the car out of "park". I can see that one coming from a mile off. You know...out there where the cows haven't come home.

One other thing. Although, in the past, I've tinked with my cars, on the Cruiser, I will always take it to the dealer. May cost a little more, but they know about the entire car and you do get OEM parts. If you couldn't get the door locks off, and before you start to destroy the vehicle, you made the right choice. Let the people who built it, do it. Hey, if nothing else, when they break it, they'll have to fix it. When you break it, you have to fix it.
Good choice...

Vince..
Old 09 Dec 2007, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: a source for shift knobs?

"..turning till the cows come home"......
The cows will come home if you grip the door lock knob with something, tightly, and pull up rather firmly as you continue to turn CCW. Where the knob goes through the door trim, the fit is very tight. So, it took me a lot of effort to get them out; and to push the new ones in.

Shifter knobs....woody stuff....?

PT Cruiser Auto Shifter Kits

Interior Accessories

Chrysler PT Cruiser 2006 Shift Knob - AutoPartsWarehouse.com

Molded Styling Ring

http://ptboutique.com/items/pt-cruis...grain/list.htm

Chrysler Steering Wheel Products

Chrysler PT Cruiser Steering Wheel Overlays

Koolknobs - Custom Shifter Knobs

Shift Knobs & Boots

EPCO - Gearshift Knobs

Just to name few!
Old 09 Dec 2007, 02:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had thought about doing it that way but I didn't want to damage the originals, just in case. Unscrewing plastic is difficult because you don't get that feeling of the screw starting to loosen. It worked, though and the chrome ones look nice. A small but attractive addition that looks appropriate against the slate color interior.

Thanks for the input...Vince