Advertisements
general cabin filter question and installation tip

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2007, 12:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default general cabin filter question and installation tip

hi all -

i purchased a cabin filter package #82206886 for my '03 gt. i removed the right side cowl cover and washer bottle. to my surprise, there was a cabin filter housing and webbed cover already present. all i had to do was install the paper filter.

i'm curious why the filter housing assembly was already there - minus the filter. i see no mention of a cabin filter in the user or service manuals. was this an error on chrysler's part?

anyway, i recommend installing a cabin filter. it's pretty easy to do and it does make a big difference. to save some money, you may want to remove the cowl cover and take a peak to see if you need the filter housing or just a filter. tip: the cowl cover screws are not really screws. they are more like push pins. they need to be gently pried/"walked" out with a thin flat blade screwdriver.
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: general cabin filter question and installation tip

If I remember correctly from other postings, the housing & filter comes as a unit.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Sep 2007, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mine had no filter like pppt03's. Had the mesh cover.. I guess different years are set up different..? What ever. Went to Home Depot & bought an anti-Microbial home a/c filter. Took some tinsnips & scissors & cut it into about 8 that fit perfect.

$1.63 per filter = cheapskate mod of the week
'06 PT Limited Edition, Linen Gold ext./Pebble Beige int., K&N air filter, Mobil 1 synthetic/K&N oil filter, Crane FireWires & Bosch Platinum 2 plugs, (25 mpg in town - yeah!), Ventvisors, Spoiler, full length Husky Liner, Anti-Microbial cabin air filter, Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover, front ceramic pads & new front rotors, Clarion underseat powered sub, Premium Chrysler emblem mats, stubby antenna, back bumper scuff guard, front windows & windshield tint, 8-ball stemcaps, 8-ball door lock stems, 8-ball cigarette lighter, Rat Fink & NA decals, diamond in the back, sunroof top, diggin' the lean with the gangster scene, mm-hmm..
Old 18 Sep 2007, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My 2001 had everything but the filter material also so it means they were fitted from the very beginning, just no filter element installed at the factory.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 03:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

was a cabin filter part of an "extra convenience" group?

i just find it weird that chrysler would go to the trouble of installing a complete cabin filter housing - minus a filter. then not advertise a cabin filter system was available/in place.
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 03:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolemite View Post
Went to Home Depot & bought an anti-Microbial home a/c filter. Took some tinsnips & scissors & cut it into about 8 that fit perfect.

$1.63 per filter = cheapskate mod of the week

NICE!

i WILL DO THIS when my current filter gets bad. an anti-microbial filter is sure to block more crappy air from outside - than the paper towel material filter i just installed. thanks for the tip. i wish i would have read this tip and known i had a filter housing already - before buying the #82206886 cabin filter package.

Last edited by pppt03turbo; 18 Sep 2007 at 04:08 pm.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 09:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Up to 02 there is a plastic piece that surrounds the square opening of the duct. It has an "overhang" on the top. The filter kit replaces this plastic part completely, and has the plastic extended out to the square rectangle to hold the filter element. I know this because I put the filter kit on my 02.

On 03's and up, they equip PT's at the factory with the plastic housing with the square outlet, with a plastic screen cover. Without the filter, the cover seems to be there to keep leaves and other debris out. All it takes on these cars to install a filter is to unsnap the cover, pluck the filter element out of the housing it was shipped in, and place it in the houseing, making sure the air flow arrown on the filter edge is facing into the car and re-snap the cover in place. Both my wife's 03 and my 04 GT are like this.

Just a few months ago I replaced both filters again, and they are still shipping the "filter kit" with the plastic housing attached.

srg
dougs likes this.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 06:52 pm
Young Cruiser

I had to replace the air conditioning evaporator, which is behind the dashboard of my '03 GT, and they said it went bad due to being covered in dog hair from our retriever.

I asked if installing a cabin air filter would remove the dog hair from the air brfore it passed through the evaporator and the local Chrysler dealer said that it only filters air coming in from the outside, and not air being recirculated from within the car. So it would not filter the dog hair, and would not prevent the evaporator from needing service again later.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 05:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

That brings up a great point/question; is there an INTERNAL cabin air filter to catch smoke, dog hair, etc. from recirculated air?

Anybody?

Bueller??
'06 PT Limited Edition, Linen Gold ext./Pebble Beige int., K&N air filter, Mobil 1 synthetic/K&N oil filter, Crane FireWires & Bosch Platinum 2 plugs, (25 mpg in town - yeah!), Ventvisors, Spoiler, full length Husky Liner, Anti-Microbial cabin air filter, Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover, front ceramic pads & new front rotors, Clarion underseat powered sub, Premium Chrysler emblem mats, stubby antenna, back bumper scuff guard, front windows & windshield tint, 8-ball stemcaps, 8-ball door lock stems, 8-ball cigarette lighter, Rat Fink & NA decals, diamond in the back, sunroof top, diggin' the lean with the gangster scene, mm-hmm..
Old 20 Sep 2007, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

My 03 GT was built very early (the first batch that was produced) and it did not have the screen or housing.

My wife's 06 GT had the screen and housing.

Of course neither had the filter until I installed them.