PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing Stereo Speaker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2008, 08:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacing Stereo Speaker

Hello fellow Cruiser owners,

I have a 2005 Dream Cruiser, and the left dashboard speaker, the small round one, buzzes a little when I turn up the volume. Maybe a wire is touching the cone, maybe something fell down through the cover, or maybe the speaker itself is damaged. How hard is it to get to that speaker to inspect or replace it? I would hope that the 3-or-4" plastic grill on top of it would just pop out to expose the speaker without having to take out the whole top part of the dashboard. One somebody does something like that, it never seems to fit the way it used to.

Thanks in advance,

HLeyes
Fort Myers, FL
Old 25 Jan 2008, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Replacing Stereo Speaker

Sorry, I can't help but I would also like to know the answer to this question because recently my PT has the exact same problem. It just started happening yesterday.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 09:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Stereo Speaker

No short cuts there. gotta bite the bullet and pull the dash cap. its relatively easy and will go back on correctly, barring any broken clips or such. FYI, speaker size is 3.5". i just put Infinity Reference series speakers up there and they sound great.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 08:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

I recently bought the Cruiser, and since the original warranty is almost up, I took it in to the local Chrysler dealer to have a few things looked at (under warranty). The tech said that the speaker problem was covered under warranty, and he seemed to know what it was (blown speaker, piece of junk on the cone, etc.). He mentioned that they would have to remove the top panel on the dashboard to get at the speaker.

HLeyes
Old 26 Jan 2008, 09:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Replacing Stereo Speaker

That's one of the reasons I like having a dash cover. Although I have even dropped some things down the vents themselves. I have some high freq hearing loss from the Air Force, so I don't mind any dulling of the sound of the speaker a little..
Old 27 Jan 2008, 06:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

A dash cover is a good idea. Where would be a good place to get one of those for that "Deep Lava Red" color of a 2005 Dream Cruiser?

H.