PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Front power windows no longer working...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Feb 2008, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front power windows no longer working...?

Does anyone know what could be the cause of my front power windows no longer working? the rears work without a problem; its only the fronts that have the issue. it began in the fall, so i didnt worry about it with winter coming. what could be the problem? how would i go about solving it?

thankyou
Old 18 Feb 2008, 07:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front power windows no longer working...?

Pretty sure there's not a separate fuse for the front windows so it might be the switch in the center console that controls just the front windows. In fact, I looked in the owners manual and the fuse cover for the interior fuses and can't find anything labeled for the power windows.

In my parts book, the switches have two different numbers. One for a 3-gang switch and one for a 5-gang switch.

Just guessing, but because the rear windows can be controlled from both the front console switch and the switch located on the floor console in the rear, that's probably the 5-gang switch, so you'll need the other one.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 18 Feb 2008, 11:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

sounds like the switch to me.
Old 19 Feb 2008, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ya it is the 5-gang switch that is acting up. However, from that switch it will control the rear windows no problem; just not the front windows which is weird. I shall replace the switch then, i did manage to find the part so ill order it soon.

Thankyou guys!
Old 19 Feb 2008, 07:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, I thought it might be the other one (3-gang) but glad you found the right one.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 24 Feb 2008, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did replacing the 5-gang switch fix your front window problem?
The front windows in my PT Cruiser just stopped working as well. One day they didn't work in the morning, but the evening they were fine - happened a few days and I figured it was just the cold, but now they don't work at all.

What year is your PT?
Mine is a 2001 - and the funniest thing it is started hapening just as soon as I hit 100,000 miles. First time I have had a car that long.

thanks
Old 11 Apr 2008, 05:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: Front power windows no longer working...?

Mine started doing the EXACT same thing yesterday. The back windows work fine. The left window at first wouldn't do anything, then went down a little...then died. The right window works when it feels like it, but mostly it just makes noise when I push the toggle. I've got a 2005. Its going to rain tonight and its Friday night. This bytes.
Any thoughts on where to get one cheaper than the rip off dealers? I called and they needed the vin number....ok so WHY? the person on the phone didn't know why just that they needed it. I didn't feel like putting clothes on to go back out and get it, I'd just got off night shift. Getting the thing out of the center was easy enough. I'm wondering how hard taking the door panel off is and if I could run a wire over to the motor in the door to just get it up once. It would give me time to try to find one that made my budget happier. I got a page off of eautorepair for troubleshooting it with a multimeter so I'm going out to play with that next I guess. Ok....so any ideas on how to get it up once???
Old 11 Apr 2008, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was lucky in that my windows never went down and not back up.
They only stopped being able to go down.

After calling a dealer who said there were any number of things that could be my problem and going in for a diagnosis where they said it would cost over $900 to replace both window regulators which I declined. My husband bought a power window switch off eBay for $29.99.

It took him about 3 minutes to pull the old switch off the dash, plug in the replacement and my windows are working good as new.

good luck finding the replacement. (BTW for the switch itself, the dealer had said it cost about $164. When I had asked how hard it was to replace myself if I just bought the switch, they suggested I talk to service. If they had just said it was simply a matter of prying the old one off and popping in the new one I would have paid that and been satisfied.)
Old 11 Apr 2008, 06:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'd already checked ebay and how to get it out while I was working. Patients were fairly quiet in the middle of the night. I like working on most things, its just all the proprietary nonsense and dealer only tools that are often needed that annoy me. Need to find out if that stupid door has a pile of easy to break clips.
I'll probably try some salvage places tomorrow. Might even try taking the switch apart if I get really crazy after sci fi tonight. See what makes it tick..... Maybe its a bad resistor, gate, or something easy...doubt it. If the back is working and...well, you never know. I just prefer cheap and easy.

Old 06 Dec 2008, 02:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Lots to ponder in this thread.

My 2002 LH front window won't go down: nothing happens/heard when I push the switch down. When I push the switch up, I can hear the motor trying to turn. The other windows work without any problem.

From the posts before, it seems the problem probably lies with the switch.

Can anyone tell me,
  1. Ebay has 2007 switch for $40. Will this work in a 2002?
    eBay Motors: 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Power Window Switch OEM LKQ (item 220321666541 end time Dec-30-08 12:00:48 PST)
  2. We will soon set forth on our Xmas trip. Can I jury rig this by swapping the leads to use the RH front switch for the LH front window? Should I just get an EZPass transponder?

Many thanks

Thanks