Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2008, 08:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Need advice

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum thought i would start here. Last week i bought an 03 pt basic, and want to add some stuff to it. my question is, are there any dash kits that arent applied with 3m tape. with as hot as it gets in southern NM in the summer, i dont want it to peel. So i guess im looking for more of a dash replacement. THANKS
Old 28 Mar 2008, 09:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Re: Need advice

Lets just say you've come to the right place. If you just browse in the "interior" section of the forum and I'm sure you'll find what your lookin for.

Here's a link to get ya started - Chrysler PT Cruiser Parts and Accessories by Race and Street

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 28 Mar 2008, 10:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the welcome, but i cant really find it. If they don't make one that isn't put up with 3M tape, could someone please give me some input on the best brand to go with.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 11:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Need advice

When I "Googled" for dash kits, I came up with most of the sites for PTs.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 11:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks soonercruiser. I think i may have decided to just paint one myself and order a replacement if it goes south. As for the sooner part, any good clubs around OK.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 09:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Need advice

You becha! 4 clubs around OKCty and Tulsa alone!
Are you still "in"? Where at?
(29 years AD AF here! Ret in 1998)
If you think you would like to look a some dash kit sites, let me know. I will post the ones I have links saved for. When I get closer - more serious about it, I will do some more research myself, as.....
1. I have seen at least one post about the "Tacky" look of an aftermarket dash kits on another site.
2. I would really be suprisded if a dash kit came loose because of heat inside the car. The 3M tape has a little trouble in heat, even here in Oklahoma summers, on exterior parts. But...
3. Even I have learned quickly that any job that I do that uses 3M adhesive tape...the surface must be preped with an "Adhesion Promoter" first!! On soonercruiser, a couple of exterior aftermarket parts have been placed that way (like Maggie's stainless steel headlight trim), and NO problems after 2 years in the 100+ summer temps. But, I do garage her at work and home.
**Best bang for the buck is the adhesion promoter "pen". Goes a long way!
Old 29 Mar 2008, 09:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

thanks sooner cruiser! Yeah im still in. Im stationed at holloman down here in New Mexico. I was born in tulsa and spent some time there before moving to KS. You're car is the most beautiful PT ive seen. Nothin like a little crimson and creme. And i keep seeing everybody refer to maggie at RAS, but i see that she doesnt really offer any factory replacement parts. Im looking for some original stuff, so i can mess around with trying to paint it myself. Also looking for the best place to buy paint lol. Really appreciate all your replies. Thanks!
Old 30 Mar 2008, 01:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Two plastic paints I've heard alot about are SEM and Krylon Fusion. The SEM I think has mostly just normal interior colors, the Krylon has some nicer colors. I painted the cvt tranny snorkels on my four wheeler with Krylon, then decided I wanted to repaint them because of runs. I grabbed our 2500psi pressure washer, and turned the diesel burner to high. The paint was about a day old, and not totally cured. I couldn't get that stuff off! The heat and pressure wouldn't get it to flake! It's pretty tough paint, I'll see how it holds up to scratches and that, but it should be right at home in the interior of a car.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.