Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
In-Dash Radar Detector

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2008, 03:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default In-Dash Radar Detector

Just installed my new radar detector! Unlike the usual suction-cuppy jobs, I went for a built-in system. The radar pickup is hidden in the front grill and the lazer detector is just under the rear view mirror. The system is a Whistler Pro 3450 and now it is installed it looks completely factory! If any cops ask, its just my "compass" and the laser detector is my GPS antenna! Works great and I am in love. If anyone wants pictures, I can have some up in a bit.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 11:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Re: In-Dash Radar Detector

Let see it

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 12 Apr 2008, 08:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, bring it on by and we'll see if you can slow down faster than the instant-on radar that most speed enforcment police/deputies/troopers carry around.

Old 12 Apr 2008, 08:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yea, bring it on by and we'll see if you can slow down faster than the instant-on radar that most speed enforcment police/deputies/troopers carry around.
Guess I'm lucky, radar detectors are still legal here, but like Crewzin said it's just telling you ahead of time that you may be getting a ticket.

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 12 Apr 2008, 09:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thing with radar detectors is, they have to know its a radar detector to give you a ticket (to tack that on as a charge at least), plus, I have no idea if they are illegal in FL or not yet. This detector has saved me a few times now and i think the "instant on" you're talking about is their laser guns, but I'm not sure. Radar is so messy that it is detectable before it can get a good reading on your speed and... I have good brakes!

Heres the detector:

And heres the brakes:

Trust me, I respect the cops around here, they are all nice guys. the detector is iin case I'm not paying attention!

Last edited by PTmodrod; 29 Jun 2008 at 03:42 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 11:34 am
Senior Cruiser

I don't know about nost states, but watch out if you drive in Virginia: radar detectors of any sort are totally illegal here; even if it's turned off, the ONLY way the Virginia state police won't ticket you is if it is completely disconnected AND stashed someplace out of reach like a car's trunk. And yes, they CAN detect your radar detector!
Old 12 Apr 2008, 01:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybluewoody View Post
I don't know about nost states, but watch out if you drive in Virginia: radar detectors of any sort are totally illegal here; even if it's turned off, the ONLY way the Virginia state police won't ticket you is if it is completely disconnected AND stashed someplace out of reach like a car's trunk. And yes, they CAN detect your radar detector!
Just going by what the box says here, but mine is apparently invisible to all VG-2. Basically seems to me like it hides itself when it detects that it is being detected. I don't know if it works or not, but it sounds like it has before! Either way, I'm just stoked that it is there, looks sweet and works really well.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 03:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

I believe the only states/districts that it is prohibited is Virginia and D.C. Also in Canada but I doubt you'll be heading up there anytime soon :P.

That looks awesome, great engineering, lol.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 12 Apr 2008, 08:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
That looks awesome, great engineering, lol.
Thanks, I was REALLY freaked out by the prospect of cutting into the dash and switch panel like that! I ended up using a rotary tool to do the majority of the cutting, then I used a hand file to smooth it and finish off the curves. after that, the wiring was a breeze.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 08:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

I just read about it, are you talking about POP? If thats it, then yeah, pretty much anyone is boned if that gets them. 1/15th of a second dosent leave much time to brake, or react for that matter!