Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
iPod input location

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2008, 07:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default iPod input location

I have just recently aquired an iPod input for my '01 and have been thinking about locations to run the input wire to. I want the iPod itself to be within reach, so no glovebox for me. The only other places i can think of are in the center console next to the hand brake, or in the little shelf under the center of the dash. I'm sure there are other places to put them, has anyone got any thoughts? I am being solidly indecisive.
Old 07 May 2008, 10:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr
Default Re: iPod input location

my brother had the same dilema but he drives a Extreme Blazer, and he wanted it in reached when he is driving, it may sound a bit tacky but he velcroed it right next to the steering wheel. and it doesnt look to bad

.. just a suggestion

EDIT: when he gets home from school, i'll get a picture of it =D

Last edited by YoungCruiserrr; 07 May 2008 at 11:25 am.
Old 07 May 2008, 01:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr
Wink Re: iPod input location

here are the pictures,
unfortunately he didn't have his ipod in his car, but, i guess you get the idea.
BTW it does require velcro on the back of your ipod of course

he also, mounted a Sirius satelite radio there to, obviously =P

just click to make them bigger

Old 08 May 2008, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi,

I've been wondering about the same thing. I read in Wired that you can wire your car for iPod, but I'm not sure whether my radio has an auxiliary input in the back. I have a 2004 PT.

My understanding from the article is that you take the dashboard off, pull out the radio, plug a Y adapter cable into the auxiliary input, attach the iPod cable to that, and snake that wiring through to somewhere. Is this right?

I don't like the idea of snaking to the glove box either, but I think bringing it to the shelf under the radio would require drilling a hole. I don't have a console though, so I might be stuck drilling a hole in the shelf.

Does anyone know about these issues, especially for the 2004? I called my local dealer, and they didn't know whether my radio would have an aux input, and didn't seem to know anything about wiring for iPod, weirdly.

Thanks,
Vanessa
Old 09 May 2008, 07:58 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisergirl View Post
Hi,

I've been wondering about the same thing. I read in Wired that you can wire your car for iPod, but I'm not sure whether my radio has an auxiliary input in the back. I have a 2004 PT.

My understanding from the article is that you take the dashboard off, pull out the radio, plug a Y adapter cable into the auxiliary input, attach the iPod cable to that, and snake that wiring through to somewhere. Is this right?

I don't like the idea of snaking to the glove box either, but I think bringing it to the shelf under the radio would require drilling a hole. I don't have a console though, so I might be stuck drilling a hole in the shelf.

Does anyone know about these issues, especially for the 2004? I called my local dealer, and they didn't know whether my radio would have an aux input, and didn't seem to know anything about wiring for iPod, weirdly.

Thanks,
Vanessa
I have read up and down on this and have been in my dashboard many times. Your 2004 stereo should easily handle it (if it has two equalizer sliders and the word "disc" on the "1" button) I have just found out that the people i bought them from sent me the wrong one AGAIN and that there is a chance that my 01 stereo just can't have one. Anyone with an 01 stereo (three equalizer sliders and no "disc" on the "1" button) get a working iPod input? if so, where and what?