Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Kicker Mopar Speaker Upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2008, 09:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Kicker Mopar Speaker Upgrade

Anyone come across the official Mopar audio upgrade speakers made by Kicker?? Wish I could find a review somewhere on them.

It says it is for an 07, which I assume is ok for an 08 as well. Marketing speak is below:

"Thanks to Mopar's association with Kicker, you can now upgrade your Chrysler PT Cruiser's factory speakers with high-quality 2-way/3-way replacements. And best of all, Kicker speakers and upgrade packages have been designed specifically for your Chrysler PT Cruiser, so you get automotive sound the way it was intended."
Old 17 May 2008, 11:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Kicker Mopar Speaker Upgrade

why spend that kind of money when you could go through crutchfield, get new speakers, with factory style wiring connectors? save yourself a bunch of money. i upgraded the system in my 06 with kicker speakers and it sounds great. less than 200 for all four.
Old 18 May 2008, 10:18 am
Cool Cruiser

It's not worth it. They're just off-the shelf Kicker stuff, except it's badged Mopar so they can charge more. It's not even Kicker's higher line of stuff. Already looked into it. You can do better in the free market.
Old 18 May 2008, 06:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Sounds like the Kickers are not worth it and pricey to boot. Thanks for the feedback, as I really did not get a chance to look into them in any detail.

I have the base radio, single CD with the Sirius tuner integrated. My next step would be to find the most efficient speaker I can via Crutchfield and hope the oem stereo can handle them.

In the past I have added an amp, but I just want to keep it as simple as possible for now.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 12:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just bought an 08 base model. Without replacing the factory stereo, what is the best way to upgrade? Will replacing the speakers make enough difference to be worth it? Or is the factory system so bad that adding new speakers won't help much? Anybody have any recommendations on specific speakers? Can I install myself, of does it call for a professional? Thanks for any tips!
Old 26 Apr 2009, 12:58 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

I installed polk DB6501's in all my doors which included drilling new spaces for tweeters. However the stock radio hardly has enough power for them at highway speeds I am playing a lvl 38. I suggest getting a new head unit then an amp once you have new speakers.

You can find pics of them in my thread in the later pages
Old 26 Apr 2009, 06:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by creflo View Post
Or is the factory system so bad that adding new speakers won't help much?
I would not try to replace the speakers, my experience has been that putting in new speakers in any car without replacing the head unit actually can net you worse sound!

I also have an 08, base stereo, I looked at getting an amp and aftermarket speakers and seeing if the head unit would sound ok through the amp. By the time I added up the costs in my head, I ended up walking out of the store.

I thought someone had said that you could put in the factory tweeters if you do not have them, that might make a difference and the base radio should power those. Although you would have to take apart the dashboard...