PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 Instrument Panel Removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2008, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 Instrument Panel Removal

Hey,

I intend to turn the driving lights on and off with a switch that I would like to locate on the instrument panel. I have two empty slots there and it would look best in that area. Would someone please tell me how to remove the outer instrument panel cover. The only visible access is underneath, in front. There are two small openings about five inches apart. My guess would be a special tool (what else is new) or something has to be pushed in the openings. I don't want to scratch, break or tear up the PT so if it's not easy to do, I'll mount the switch under the dash. There's a small metal plate there that has a hole in it already.
To save the trouble of reading about why I didn't use the normal methods, I don't want the driving lights on every time the lights are on. I want them on only when I want them on. Also, doing it this way saves me the $95 that Chrysler will charge to turn them on. The switch will signal a relay to turn the lights on and off...when I want.

Thanks...

PS - Since putting this in here, I went back to the PT and started, slowly, to pry the cover off. The bottom and sides, up to about the stereo, have come away from the rest of the dash but I can't get the top part loose. I've pried with fingers only and don't want to risk any damage. I'll bet if I use a crowbar I can get it off. Anyway, I'll wait on you to tell me. I pushed on the cover where I had seperated it and it snapped back in place.

PSPS - Well...it has nine mounting clips on the back. It's just a matter of 'easy does it'. I used a sturdy plastic screw driver and wrapped it in a cloth. Once the bottom portion was free, I worked the screw driver up the sides. When I felt resistance, I pushed the screw driver in further for leverage.

Thanks anyway...maybe this will help the next cruiser.

Last edited by vinzchlortho; 29 May 2008 at 02:49 pm. Reason: Found out some more
Old 29 May 2008, 10:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 Instrument Panel Removal

Ummmmm. The Mopar light kit comes with a switch integrated into a new turn stalk .... and my dealer activated them for free in 5 minutes on my 2007 just last month.
Old 30 May 2008, 11:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

there is a small phillips head screw inside of both of the vents on my '06. they are in the center of the vent towards the bottom about three inches in. you have to look in there with a light to see them they are black screws. other than that the center stack cover just pulls straight out, just be careful of the heater selector control knobs i broke mine off the 1st time.

TNJCRUISER

'06 inferno red, SRT8 magnum sound system, '07 17" wheels, eibach lowering springs, billet antenna, mopar nose cover, and custom bumper due to some girl on a cell phone
Old 20 Nov 2010, 10:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yours may be a bit different,but, on my '01 you remove the window switches in the center of the dash by placing a small tool..(screw driver) or similar in the top and gently pry it out, then undo the red locking tab, then pull the plug off the switch, under that is one screw; Remove that screw and the rest is just clips..it should pull right off.