Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Interior Paint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2008, 01:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Interior Paint

I finally started painting the interior. Last night i finished the radio bezel. I think it turned out pretty good, and it was a whole lot cheaper than by the colored trim, and hopefully it looks as good. Right now I'm painting the seat levers. Tonight I'm gonna hit the coat hooks, and hopefully the sunisor attachments. I'll get some pics up later on.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 02:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Interior Paint

Can't wait for pics!

Jeremy & Echo - owners of Bessy - steel blue '02 limited PT - Airaid intake - billet grille - Mr. Mike's welts - Streamline Designs Custom Edition - Streamline Design Vinyl Visor cover
parents of Riley & Harrison and a crazy boxer named Minnie
Old 01 Jun 2008, 02:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Don't forget the overhead console (if you have one), the glove box handle, the buttons in the headliner (they just pull out), the handles on the back of the rear seats. Even painted the back of the rearview mirrow. Can't really see it but it was a slow day at home. You can even paint the front air dam. If I think of anything else I've painted, I'll let you know.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 02:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Do you just sand the plastic down, spray paint it then prime? Sorry to sound like a total loser, but where would you get the spray paint? Does it have to be custom made?

Jeremy & Echo - owners of Bessy - steel blue '02 limited PT - Airaid intake - billet grille - Mr. Mike's welts - Streamline Designs Custom Edition - Streamline Design Vinyl Visor cover
Old 01 Jun 2008, 02:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

1wedwudy, don't worry, I'm painting every thing I can. Plan on doing the glove box handle, light trim, plastic on back of passenger seat, fuse box cover, floor console (kinda scared of that one lol), door lock pulls, pretty much any ugly gray plastic lol. Morrises, it really wasn't too tricky. I'm no professional, but heres the steps I took.
1. Wiped down with a wax and grease remover. This does a great job of getting all the crap off. i.e. hand oil, armor all.
2. Next I sanded with a 400 grit sandpaper, to give something for the paint to grab into. Then I cleaned it again.
3. I sprayed a light coat of duplicolor adhesion promoter. This stuff is great for interior plastics.
4. Then I sprayed a medium coat of filler primer to protect.
5. Then I put on 3 coats of Patriot Blue. I got the Paint from the local chrysler dealer. I believe it was $8 for a 5 oz spray can. I used a little more than one can on the bezel.
6. After the last coat of paint dried, i wet sanded with 1500 grit sandpaper for a smooth finish.
7. Then I threw on 4 coats of top clear coat. Fairly heavy coats.
8. Then I went ahead and wet sanded with 2200 sandpaper, for a super smooth finish.
9. Then I threw one final heavy coat of clear coat.

Like I said I'm no professional, but this is the method that worked best for me. Certainly alot cheaper than buying the covers online, and makes me appreciate it more, knowing I did the work. Hopes this helps
Old 01 Jun 2008, 02:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Here's the bezel. Not a great pic, too much glare. I decided not to paint the window switch because I want to get the stainless steel cover for it.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 02:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

awesome! Thanks so much for the step by step.
Hubby wanted to know, how difficult was it to take it off??

(and my little three year old said OH! MOM! It's a PT CRUISER! just by seeing that picture! hahaha)

Old 01 Jun 2008, 02:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrises View Post
awesome! Thanks so much for the step by step.
Hubby wanted to know, how difficult was it to take it off??

(and my little three year old said OH! MOM! It's a PT CRUISER! just by seeing that picture! hahaha)
LOL! My four year old does the same thing every time we pass one. When we went to the dealer the other day to get it fixed, he freaked out because he thought we were trading it in lol. It just pops right off. Start by taking off the window switches, you'll have to disconnect that power, then theres a screw behind the switches. Pull of the A/C controls, then the bezel just pops off. start at the top, then work at the bottom

'03 Pt, headrest monitors, dvd, painted interior (kind of), modified air box, K&N drop in filter
Old 04 Jun 2008, 11:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

I really want to do this but spray it down black or dark red <3

If someone wants to spray mine for me I would gladly pay for it

Last edited by slayerdarkcross; 04 Jun 2008 at 11:05 pm.
Old 04 Jun 2008, 11:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like alot of work but you must be doing it right as it looks totally awesome...great work
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob