Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dome light removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jun 2008, 01:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Dome light removal

I am going to be replacing the bulbs in my '01s dome light with some red LEDs and I was just wondering if anyone had any surprises when taking the lights off. Any tips or tricks? etc... if not, I will just be following the Haynes manual.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 03:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Dome light removal

Are you replacing the whole dome light mounting or just doing a bulb swap with a compatable LED bulb? I just replaced the bulb in mine recently it didn't look like there would be to much of an issue to swap out the whole thing if that's what your goal is. There's not much to it.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 06:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have the Haynes Maunual also... Very helpful in a whole bunch of ways over the years. The say to replace the bulb just pop it open with a flat head screwdriver on one side of the lens. Forgot which side it said tho...

2002 Custom Dream Cruiser Series 5 Rollin 22s/20s
Old 23 Jun 2008, 10:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yeah it says to just pop it off. I was going to the same with an led kit and a dummy bulb. Looks really good.

'03 Pt, headrest monitors, dvd, painted interior (kind of), modified air box, K&N drop in filter
Old 25 Jun 2008, 07:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DJmart

Trying to be like my car huh?!

I see, trying to up my LED fishtank looking aquarium!

haha, well its not hard, i bought my dome light bulbs at SUPER BRIGHT LEDS home and they are bright as all heck.

THe only thing about the center dome light, LED's are directional... so when the LED's point to the immediate right, I put some tin foil and smoothed it out, so the light is deflected (right word to use?) and the light emitting is stronger!
Old 25 Jun 2008, 02:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJmart View Post
Trying to be like my car huh?!

I see, trying to up my LED fishtank looking aquarium!

haha, well its not hard, i bought my dome light bulbs at SUPER BRIGHT LEDS home and they are bright as all heck.

THe only thing about the center dome light, LED's are directional... so when the LED's point to the immediate right, I put some tin foil and smoothed it out, so the light is deflected (right word to use?) and the light emitting is stronger!
Haha, I wont lie, your PT was where I got the idea. I just want it to look all hardcore when I unlock it at night. The whole interior glowing a dull red will be so nice. Kinda military looking I suppose... (I think you meant "diffused" right? Like, spread around more?) Thanks for the link, I think I might use them in future when I run out of LEDs, but for now, I have a massive stockpile to go through. I am planning on setting up engine bay lighting (all red still) and a bit of stainless to add a show-factor as well.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 04:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm glad though, I feel like I contributed to someone's ideas and modifications.

Just like many of you have, with your interior design and other modifications.

Now, question is.... are you using conventional LED's with the two leads on it? Or are you buying the proper fit bulb with the LED's fabricated inside the bulb itself?
Old 25 Jun 2008, 05:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Now, question is.... are you using conventional LED's with the two leads on it? Or are you buying the proper fit bulb with the LED's fabricated inside the bulb itself?
Well my current plan is to use these large, heavy duty LEDs that I currently have. They have a standard 2 lead setup on them and I was just planning on playing it by ear as to how I would hook them up. I probably wont purchase the bulb ones unless I completely cant figure it out.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 06:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

pay for the cough bulb ones coughcough

You really should, its worth it, and its not that expensive. Make it easy on your self and be happy with the results....

Either way you do it, TAKE PICTURES!!!!!
Old 25 Jun 2008, 06:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
pay for the cough bulb ones coughcough

You really should, its worth it, and its not that expensive. Make it easy on your self and be happy with the results....

Either way you do it, TAKE PICTURES!!!!!
You know... For once I think I might just buy those parts... Usually I don't mind doing it myself with stuff I have, but I can't argue with $5-10... ( I just tested out one and it worked 5 minutes ago ) I think I will be happier with a more stock looking piece anyway.