Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC Knob lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2008, 06:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default AC Knob lights

Yes! Another thread about interior light! You're all probably getting sick of these . I hav obviously taken off the center dash surround several times and I have noticed that the lights for the knobs are boring old incandescent bulbs in what appear to be little housing cases (think 22 cal revolver style shells). The bit on the knobs that lights up is actually blue, not teal and it only lights up teal because of the yellowish white light the incandescents are putting out. I want to change them to red LEDs thus making the AC knobs light up PURPLE! There is a white plastic panel that they are mounted in and it seems like there may be some problems if I remove this piece due to the cable connections. Anyone removed this before? I can't seem to find it in my Haynes manual (chapter 11 seemed most likely, but nothing.) Anyone done it? I am about to go around there and fiddle around. Ill give updates.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 06:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: AC Knob lights

Ok, just took it apart with no major issue. Did not realize that it was all one assembly. The bulb holder description I gave was REALLY inaccurate! I was trusting my memory a bit too much... It looks like I can do this with relative ease I think. Just going to test the current and go from there!
Old 01 Jul 2008, 02:38 am
Young Cruiser

WHen you have a chance post update pics and maybe some instructions....

would love to see those lit up blue or some other color...

Old 01 Jul 2008, 03:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcueball View Post
WHen you have a chance post update pics and maybe some instructions....

would love to see those lit up blue or some other color...

x222!

I want to do this with my instrument dash lights! lol

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 01 Jul 2008, 06:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

sounds like it would be cool looking let us know how it goes !!
Old 02 Jul 2008, 10:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well! So far it is going... badly. The bulbs are housed in little plastic bases like I said, with the wiring looped around them to create the two contact surfaces. I made a BEAUTIFUL little neatly packed setup that replaced the incandescent bulb with a red LED. I then ran a resistor before the positive of the LED. Here is the problem... As neatly packed as I made it (and I mean I made this thing a masterpiece!) the wires of the resistor and the LED were of a bigger gauge than the stock ones! It just would not go back into the dash! Eventually I had to use the car again so I re-assembled the original lamp. I will try again when I have more time.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 12:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr

hey, tell me how it goes, i would love to change mine to green or purple, the blue won't look good with my interior and my paintjob, and the dash im painting lime green

Old 10 Jul 2008, 04:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungCruiserrr View Post
hey, tell me how it goes, i would love to change mine to green or purple, the blue won't look good with my interior and my paintjob, and the dash im painting lime green
well green will be pretty much impossible because the plastic bit that lights up on the knob is clear blue. This limits you to either blue, or some color MIXED with blue. I chose purple because I can put a red light behind the blue lens to get purple. It may be a little bit as I am in the middle of moving up to Orlando for college!
Old 10 Jul 2008, 04:44 pm
Young Cruiser

hey modrod,
what size light is used in cluster?? i have one burnt out in speedometer and will change out sometime soon and so will prob'ly do all of them.is it a 5mm or a 10mm?

ron
loepard skin seat cover and door inserts,shade shift leopard flame graphics,17" panther wheels,custom rear deck, 3Dtaillights,and new sound system coming soon (for the second time),shade shift magenta-gold door pillars,flowlighting inferno underbody,and whatever comes along when wallet gets fat, and lastly rear bucket seats
Old 11 Jul 2008, 08:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmodrod View Post
well green will be pretty much impossible because the plastic bit that lights up on the knob is clear blue. This limits you to either blue, or some color MIXED with blue. I chose purple because I can put a red light behind the blue lens to get purple. It may be a little bit as I am in the middle of moving up to Orlando for college!
well purple works to haha can't forget that i got the purple pinstripe.