Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006: radio removal/ stuck CD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006: radio removal/ stuck CD

Trying to get the radio out on my Mom's car to try to fish out a stuck CD. But i can't even get the bezel off. It looks like it should just pop off:

2006 PT Cruiser -Mac Mini - MP3Car.com

I can get the bottom off, but the top isn't budging.

Help please? Don't wanna break nothing.

Anyone else have a stuck CD. Possible to get it out?

Thx.

Marty
Old 27 Aug 2008, 05:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2006: radio removal/ stuck CD

Ah yes, the secret of the center bezel.......

In the air vents!!! Turn them so they are horizontal, look inside the bottom and you will see a channel that uncovers a phillips screw on the bottom of each vent. If you don't see a channel, turn that vent 180 degrees and there it will be.

Be careful not to lose a screw down the vent!

The radio comes out as a sealed unit, you won't have any better access to the cd unless you disassemble the radio. Is the car still under warrenty???

Good luck!

srg
Old 27 Aug 2008, 07:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Awesome. thx so much.

Marty
Old 27 Aug 2008, 11:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Step 1: Remove The Negative Cable From The Battery. The air cleaner enclosure must be unlatched and moved to gain access to the terminals on the battery.

Step 2: Remove The Center Console Bezel. There are two screws, one in each A/C vent. Rotate the vent until the vanes are exactly horizontal. You should be able to see a notch in the bottom center inside the vent. If you can't see it, rotate the vent around 180 degrees. The screw is a black standard phillips head and isn't the easiest thing to see in the dark. A flashlight can help. I worked on my car in the bright sunshine and still needed a light to help. The screws are really tight, so use a screwdriver with some grip to get them started. A magnetic screwdriver helps to get them out of the vents. Once the screws are out, then there are 9 press fittings holding the bezel in place. There are two at the top, above the vents, two on the sides even with the vents, two on the sides even with the radio, two on the sides below the heater controls, and one centered at the bottom. I started at the bottom and using a slow steady force pulled the bezel loose, working my way up the bezel to the top. Now only the various cables hold the bezel on. Start at the top. Remove the clock cable by pressing down on the release on the plug on the bottom side and pulling the plug out. Next is the power windows cable. There is a red plastic lock on this plug. The lock is pushed upward (not away!) from the bottom side of the plug to release it. Once unlocked, the release tab on the right side is pressed and the plug can be pulled out. The defroster-hazard cluster cable comes out the same way as the clock cable. At this point, if you are working on the radio, you don't have to remove the heater cables. I didn't remove them so if you need to get the bezel completely out of the way, you will have to figure that part out yourself.

Step 3: Remove The Old Radio. The four torx screws on the corners hold the radio in place. Use a T-15 torx head driver. The radio comes right out. There are three cables on the back: the antenna wire and the two radio harness plugs. The harness plugs each have a press release on the top while the antenna wire just pulls out.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 11:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Which model radio is it? The model name is on the lower right in small letters. For instance, a 2006 with the single stock CD player with AUX port is a REF. The 6-disk unit is RAQ.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 10:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thx again all.

Got to my Mom's today. Got radio out. Had 2 CDs in it.