Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
APC Dash Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2003, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default APC Dash Kit

Has anyone else purchased an APC Dash kit for their cruiser. I recently did and when it arrived it mentioned using an "adhesion prmtion" product to wipe the surface area before application. But I did not get any in my kit. Please help. Also, what is the benzine used for and can it be substituted with rubbing alchohol to clean the application area?[:I]
Old 07 Aug 2003, 08:02 am
Cool Cruiser

MadAdamPT,

You can use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to wash the surfaces that the dash kit will cover. This is particularly important if the surfaces have been treated with Armor-All or a similar product in the past. The silicones in these products will stop the adhesive on the dash kit from working. If you are unsure about the Armor-All treatments, wash the areas down several times with isopropyl alcohol.

3M sells a product that promotes adhesion for pressure-sensitive tape. Make sure you buy the right one (not for exterior use, ie-paint). You can find this in better parts stores or auto body supply houses.

Do NOT use benzene (you can't buy it over-the-counter in the US anyway...)! Benzene is a carcinogen. Besides, it has a wonderful "plastic-melting" effect, particularly on ABS plastics.

Scott
Old 07 Aug 2003, 04:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

The adhesion promoter that I use with 3M tape is just Prep Solvent. You can buy it at most auto parts stores. I got it at Auto Zone. They use it to clean everything off of an area that is to be painted.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 13 Aug 2003, 01:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

My new Pt woody dash kit[imghttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p28efb6f05337fbd48fc12d5de9b75fe5/fb68ba47.jpg][/img]

(you might neeed to click on the above url)
Old 13 Aug 2003, 12:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

door trim from PtWoody kit

(you might have to click on this url)[imghttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p891ee736d66baa7f44e95bdf2aea794e/fb68ba44.jpg[/img]
Old 31 Aug 2003, 03:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Vey nice Rose wood touchs[?]