Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Adding Rocker Switches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2003, 01:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Adding Rocker Switches

I want to do some light cut out switches for the tail, brake, reverse and plate lights using this: http://www.nwdesign.us/Coin_Holder.htm ( thanks for the lead Gear Head )

Somewhere I recall reading that PT's electrical system may be overly fussy about splicing in - for example - a rocker switch. Does anybody have tech info on this? I have the shop manual and realize the connections must be perfect as in any electrical modification, but is there something "special" about the PT's system?

A lot of people have ADDED lights (including me), but I want some feedback on splicing the factory schematic safely.
Old 05 Sep 2003, 08:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

StephenR, the switches in the NW tech. kit are wired single pole Normally open. There are resistors wired between the normally open connector and what would be the normally closed connector (this is to insure the life of the LEDs in the switches) When wired operating point to +12v, there does not need to be a load on the normally open connector for the led to light). The only way to use the switch to break a circuit would be to wire it to a relay single pole or double pole DOUBLE THROW 12v relay. Bosch does make these. The circuit would have to be run thru the normally closed contacts on the relay. That way when you switch on the switch it makes the relay and breaks the circuit that you want to disable. I have all 5 of the operating points of the switches wired to 1 key on source. (an in line fuse for each of the 5 wires). I am using a relay to break the grounds for all 7 of my interior neons so that they can be controlled with 1 switch. I have not found the PT electeical system to be particularly sensitive to splices. I have some soldered connections, some in line splices as well. As long as care is taken to note the gauge wire that you're splicing into, and use the proper in line connectors for that gauge wire it works well. Just 1 caveat, if you are going to use these connectors anywhere outside the car, be sure to use the in line splices with sealer inside. 3M makes them. They seal after the splice is squeezed closed.

Alan
Old 09 Sep 2003, 01:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had to read your reply several times to realize the amount of detail you are providing.

So basically the NW switch is an ON=LED, OFF=NO LED type. Because I want just the opposite of this, I need to understand your relay recommendations OR find another type of rocker/toggle switch, correct? Such a switch is probably a tough find out there, but is probably the easiest solution.

Anybody have vendor links or additional ideas??
Old 09 Sep 2003, 07:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

StephenR, your assumption about the switches is absolutley correct. they are ON=LED and OFF=NO LED. There are no other switch terminals available on the rocker switch pod to use. If you want to use the switch pod for breaking a circuit it will be necessary to use a relay for each circuit that you want to disable. If you'd like I can make you a schematic that shows how to do this. Almost all leds built in to switches are that way. I think the relays are a couple of bucks each. If I can be of more assistance here, e-mail me & let me know.

Alan
Old 12 Sep 2003, 01:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same switch plate from Nortwhest Design...it is the coolest change I've made to the interior thus far. Each switch is connected to a relay (three total - 2 in the engine bay, 1 under the dashboard).....the relays are wired to a secondary fuse box installed on the firewall to isolate any power fluctuations from the ICU.....install took longer this way, but I feel better......

Good Luck!

John

http://bugdude21.ptenthusiasts.net
http://www.ptcsv.com
Old 12 Sep 2003, 08:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Gear_Head & Bugdude21, I'd appreciate your assistance (off-line) in helping me with the details of this setup. Drop me an email.

Thank you!
Old 12 Sep 2003, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I put all mine switchs in the glove box I did not want to see any switchs in side the car I felt the glove box was the way to go They are easy to get to I also ran a power line right from the battery with a 20 breaker at the battery Then diasy chain the switch's after each swicth I added a fuse going to the item I want to work This has worked out great with no problems heres a pic of the switchs installed they are push on/off with a pilot light under each one so you know it is on.............Bill

Old 13 Sep 2003, 10:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Nice setup Bill, sounds well thought out. Heres a peek of my setup:

Alan
Old 13 Sep 2003, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

LOOKS AWESOME[?] NICE JOB