PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Liftgate touchpad replacement

 
Like Tree26Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07 Mar 2015, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 6,240
Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
In 2008 they removed the key latch...so a bypass or replace the touch pad is the only option.
On my 2008 PT Cruiser I have the key latch but the PT Cruiser was manufactured in 2007 when I looked at the date of manufacture on the driver's side door.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07 Mar 2015, 12:12 pm
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,904
Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
On my 2008 PT Cruiser I have the key latch but the PT Cruiser was manufactured in 2007 when I looked at the date of manufacture on the driver's side door.
That could just be a cross year thing...on my 2006 when I ordered my MFS I had to order one made before 10/31/05 because the plug had changed afterwards.


I had a '73 Mustang that was built in Oct 1972 & I swear every part I needed for that car had to be ordered from 1972. That's when I learned to take the old parts with you when you order
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07 Mar 2015, 12:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 6,240
Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
That could just be a cross year thing...on my 2006 when I ordered my MFS I had to order one made before 10/31/05 because the plug had changed afterwards.


I had a '73 Mustang that was built in Oct 1972 & I swear every part I needed for that car had to be ordered from 1972. That's when I learned to take the old parts with you when you order
Does the date of manufacture on your driver's side door on your 2006 PT Cruiser say it was manufactured on or before 10/31/05 ?

Good idea about taking the old parts with you!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,904
Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Does the date of manufacture on your driver's side door on your 2006 PT Cruiser say it was manufactured on or before 10/31/05 ?
Yes it does...it says 08-05

01.JPG

02.JPG
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 27 Mar 2015, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Your idea worked perfect for me on our '06 base model. I didn't even remove the cup area from the liftgate, just took off the inside cover, drilled the hole and put the switch in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150326_193955[1].jpg (92.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150326_194418[1].jpg (85.7 KB, 122 views)
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:50 am
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 115
Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr44 View Post
Your idea worked perfect for me on our '06 base model. I didn't even remove the cup area from the liftgate, just took off the inside cover, drilled the hole and put the switch in.
What type of switch did you use? The touch pad on my dads GT also stopped working.
__________________
1994 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L V8 & 2005 Pt Cruiser GT Covertible
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 30 Mar 2015, 07:43 am
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,904
Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04PtSilver View Post
What type of switch did you use? The touch pad on my dads GT also stopped working.
I bought a momentary push switch from Radio Shack for like $3.

momentary push switch.jpg
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2015, 07:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cape Coral Florida
Posts: 3
Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Ok... I am willing to try this new "micro switch" option on my 06 Dream Cruiser.... but now that Radio Shack is gone... where else do I find one?
__________________
'08 Convt (auto); 06 Rt66 Edition (stick); 02 Touring (stick) 220k miles!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2015, 08:40 pm
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,904
Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by petlarfla View Post
Ok... I am willing to try this new "micro switch" option on my 06 Dream Cruiser.... but now that Radio Shack is gone... where else do I find one?

You should be able to find one at Pep Boys & maybe AutoZone, Lowes or Home Depot.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jun 2015, 12:18 pm
CreepyPT's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 334
Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT
Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr44 View Post
Your idea worked perfect for me on our '06 base model. I didn't even remove the cup area from the liftgate, just took off the inside cover, drilled the hole and put the switch in.
That's a fantastic option. I already had mine torn apart before I realized I had that option. And it has the added benefit of not having to replace all the damn double sided tape. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably just buy the part from Chrysler.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking 2002 LTD glass/window specs & replacement adivce j3s General PT Cruiser Discussions 1 23 Feb 2009 02:01 am
drive belt replacement boilerhog Tech & Performance Forum 1 29 Nov 2008 07:09 pm
Bad ball joint replacement? Samson Wheels, Tires, Suspension 4 19 May 2008 06:40 pm
liftgate won't stay up prettybluewoody General PT Cruiser Discussions 10 08 Apr 2008 12:26 am
liftgate dangers frances General PT Cruiser Discussions 9 15 Sep 2004 11:55 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors