Liftgate touchpad replacement

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2015, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Pretty darn creative!
I'll give you that!

2010 Dodge Challenger SE as my day-driver.
2005 "Limited", Stage 1 Turbo Lite, the "Cowboy Cruiser".

Have now owned 5 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 20 Nov 2015, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Well I did the momentary switch option on my 2005 PT. It works great and took about an hour total using sr44 method special thanks to you CreepyPt for a great idea. No more unwanted unlatching and works every time I push the button unlike the original. Thanks to this forum!
Old 21 Nov 2015, 12:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyPT View Post
This small mod is on the outside of the car, but it seemed to fit better in the interior mods section, since it's not really a "pretty" mod.

If you have a 2005 or older cruiser, you have a lift handle on your rear emplem to open the hatch when it's unlocked. If you have a 2006 or newer, you have a "pressure pad" momentary electric switch on the back of the emblem, that unlatches the door, like the electric lock switches for the doors.
ts, two locking washer bits, and a crapload of trim tape. The tape was the worst part.
My '05 has the touchpad and after using it a lot over a decade, it is still functioning just fine. I have often wondered if they ever went kaput. Luckily I can still open the hatch with the key if need be.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 22 Nov 2015, 07:48 am
Young Cruiser

We bought out '06 GT NEW in April of 2007.

The liftgate touch pad went bad About 4 years ago now.

I replaced it with a new one FROM Chrysler-cost over $100 !!

Next time it goes bad I'll retrofit the older mechanical latch and be done with this horse pucky!!
Old 22 Nov 2015, 03:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Regarding date of manufacture

The date of manufacture for modern automobiles is very important due to running changes made in modern manufacturing. These changes are made and your local parts house or dealer need the DOM (date of manufacture) to get you the right parts.
As many of you know the PT was intruded as a 2001 Model in early 2000 and so had a much longer production run until 2002 cars were introduced in the fall of 2001.
Cars are usually introduced in the fall as new models and were being manufactured for several months before intro to have inventory to sell in the fall.
So a manufacture date of July or August of the previous calendar year, say 2003, is not unusual for a car of the model year 2004 and so on.
I would imagine, given the quickly reduced production from 2008 to 2010 that production dates in those three years may be stretched far back from model year introduction. It is truly amazing that the PT had such a long run with only one major change in appearance and lack of accessories and improvements for the last years.
dougs likes this.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 09:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

The date of manufacture has been important for a really long time. Way back in the early '70's my pal Arnie bought a little Honda CVCC station wagon. It was the first Honda car anyone had seen in our back woodsy county.

He owned a body shop and the car was a repairable wreck with front end damage. We spent a few days pulling the frame back into shape and tried to straighten out the tin like the directions for the frame straightener showed but gave up and just bought a front clip from a dude down near Chicago.

Once we got the body finished we started working on the engine. It made a difference down to the day the engine was assembled on carburetor parts and water pump for the tiny engine.

A while later the clutch went bad. I guess the clutch disk was used for several years in a row but the throw out bearings and pivot arms were evidently run off in monthly lots so you had to be careful with the numbers stamped in them to get the right one.

I'm pretty sure we went to every junk yard in Rusk county and a few other counties looking for the right pivot arm.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 06:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 2008 trunk stopped opening, thanks to this forum i bought a switch and it worked great. Get a "momentary - on" push button switch.
dougs likes this.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 09:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Would it be possible or have pics of HOW to remove the inside panels so you can get inside to put the button in.
Hate to start tearing it apart and mess up all the trim...
As much detail would be awesome
THANKS
Old 21 Jun 2016, 11:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 01:19 pm.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 01:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Two 2005 PTs - 3 years old - no problem with the touch pads!
Total of 5 Cruisers in my history with no problems.
Am I just lucky; or are you over reacting?
No problems at all with my '05 and touchpad switch. After 11 years still works fine.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock