PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Liftgate touchpad replacement

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2016, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

My 2006 also completely stopped working. Will be going to Radio Shack. Thanks for the info!
rckstein and wingman55 like this.
Old 21 Dec 2016, 01:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonbilly View Post
My 2006 also completely stopped working. Will be going to Radio Shack. Thanks for the info!
The repair works like a charm

Welcome to the forum

You should go to the New Members section and introduce yourself

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 28 Oct 2017, 02:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 2008 PT Cruiser and I say "thank you, thank you, thank you!"

I bypassed the defective sensor switch with a $6.69 water-proof momentary button switch I got from Amazon. (Ordered last night, delivered first thing this morning!)

The button went in the top of the 'cavity' and I didn't even have to remove the handle/switch mechanism. Drilling the hole took longer than everything else.

I cut the original wires/connector off with a razor blade scraper. Just strip the wires and connect them to the button and you are ready to go!

Works like a charm!
rckstein, wingman55 and JDK52 like this.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 04:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARob View Post
My 2008 PT Cruiser and I say "thank you, thank you, thank you!"

I bypassed the defective sensor switch with a $6.69 water-proof momentary button switch I got from Amazon. (Ordered last night, delivered first thing this morning!)

The button went in the top of the 'cavity' and I didn't even have to remove the handle/switch mechanism. Drilling the hole took longer than everything else.

I cut the original wires/connector off with a razor blade scraper. Just strip the wires and connect them to the button and you are ready to go!

Works like a charm!
Welcome to the forum

Glad you found a fix

When you get a chance, please go to the Welcome New PT Cruiser Members section and create an intro thread

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 27 Dec 2017, 09:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Two 2005 PTs - 3 years old - no problem with the touch pads!
Total of 5 Cruisers in my history with no problems.
Am I just lucky; or are you over reacting?
I don't think anyone is over reacting. On my '05 the switch has started to act up and keeps unlocking the latch. Frustrating. I was wondering, since my model has the key lock, too, can I just unhook the pad? I don't need it. I open the hatch so infrequently the lock alone will be just fine. Wondering if this can be done?
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 27 Dec 2017, 10:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaH View Post
If by touchpad, you mean the type where you don't pull up the Chrysler logo to open the hatch, then that's what I have on my 2005 Cruiser. It also has stopped working properly. It started about 2 years ago, but another issue has started with it... the hatch will "come loose" or unlatch part way whenever I use the keyfob or door buttons to unlock the car. I stopped unlocking the car that way about a year ago, but last night it unlatched while I was driving across the street after leaving work and again today after starting it to leave for work. I hadn't even put the car in gear to back out from in front of the house and it popped loose. I've been trying for two years to figure this out and what to do to stop it. Any ideas? I need a simple fix because I'm nowhere near skilled enough to do what you did here.
I have the exact problem with my hatch on my '05. Temporarily I pulled the interior bulb out because it was staying on for like 8 minutes everytime I opened and shut the door. What to do?
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 27 Dec 2017, 03:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Mr. Cabinguy,

If your touchpad is faulting with a momentary contact - then disconnecting it should solve that issue.

I would add the consideration that taking apart the trim on the liftgate to expose the switch wiring (for disconnection) is the biggest part of the task so adding the a momentary contact switch would be just a bit more effort and expense.

Well worth the addition......

Hope that the intermittent switch is the root of your problem.

Carry On
thecabinguy likes this.

Last edited by JDK52; 27 Dec 2017 at 03:16 pm.
Old 28 Dec 2017, 09:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK52 View Post
Mr. Cabinguy,

If your touchpad is faulting with a momentary contact - then disconnecting it should solve that issue.

I would add the consideration that taking apart the trim on the liftgate to expose the switch wiring (for disconnection) is the biggest part of the task so adding the a momentary contact switch would be just a bit more effort and expense.

Well worth the addition......

Hope that the intermittent switch is the root of your problem.

Carry On
You made a very valid point about going ahead with a switch replacement as long as the hatch cover was off. Will do it.