Advertisements
Liftgate touchpad replacement

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2009, 04:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT
Default Liftgate touchpad replacement

This small mod is on the outside of the car, but it seemed to fit better in the interior mods section, since it's not really a "pretty" mod.

If you have a 2005 or older cruiser, you have a lift handle on your rear emplem to open the hatch when it's unlocked. If you have a 2006 or newer, you have a "pressure pad" momentary electric switch on the back of the emblem, that unlatches the door, like the electric lock switches for the doors.

Unfortunately, they are crap. About a year after I bought my car, it started working intermittantly, the pad came loose from the emblem and started shoving itself up into the emblem, and eventually before it quit working at all, it would sometimes get stuck clicking over and over until I locked my doors, or shut the car off.

Coming loose fromthe emblem basically "Broke" one of the flat wire connections in the switch.

After a year of it not working, and not having time from work to take it to the dealer to replace it, I decided to replace it myself.

6 Auto stores couldn't or wouldn't help, but the youg geek fellow at the local Radio Shack helped me find a nice momentary switch. It's almost exactly like a power or reset switch on a computer.

I disassembled the emblem, cup, and rear interior of the hatch to start with. Now I know why Chrysler sells the whole bit as one piece. The whole bit is held on with three nuts, two locking washer bits, and a crapload of trim tape. The tape was the worst part.

After drilling a hole in the top center of the cup, I realised that the switch would be in the way of one of the bolts. So I covered it with a light coat of epoxy and vinyl tape, and moved the hole over to one side about an inch. (Right where the old wires went through, I should've taken the hint.)
After mounting the switch, soldiering the old wire connector on, and remounting with a lot of auto trim tape, it's back together and working great!

I wouldn't do this again I don't think, but then, I don't expect to have to. The new switch is decently heavy duty, out of the elements, and won't just "Break" or come loose. I have a feeling if I had Ma replace it, I'd probably be back ina couple years to have it replaced again!

Woot for mods done by the mechanically challenged!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040552.JPG (77.2 KB, 591 views)
File Type: jpg P1040554.JPG (84.5 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg P1040555.JPG (75.1 KB, 485 views)
File Type: jpg P1040556.JPG (77.4 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg P1040557.JPG (87.5 KB, 489 views)
Old 11 Jun 2009, 05:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Two 2005 PTs - 3 years old - no problem with the touch pads!
Total of 5 Cruisers in my history with no problems.
Am I just lucky; or are you over reacting?

2010 Dodge Challenger SE as my day-driver.
2005 "Limited", Stage 1 Turbo Lite, the "Cowboy Cruiser".

Have now owned 5 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 26 Jun 2015 at 06:39 pm.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 02:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

This is a great MOD. I used the same Radio Shack momentary switch, only $3.99. I made the MOD simpler by not removing the entire emblem and cup part. I just removed the tailgate interior cover & drilled a 1/2" hole into the top center of the emblem cup from the inside of the car. So, no peeling off the emblem and replacing tape. Doing it this way leaves the old electronic latch circuitry, but who cares, it didn't work anyways.
rockinbob and wingman55 like this.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 01:13 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

My '05 has the touchpad - no problems with it.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 26 Dec 2013, 06:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If by touchpad, you mean the type where you don't pull up the Chrysler logo to open the hatch, then that's what I have on my 2005 Cruiser. It also has stopped working properly. It started about 2 years ago, but another issue has started with it... the hatch will "come loose" or unlatch part way whenever I use the keyfob or door buttons to unlock the car. I stopped unlocking the car that way about a year ago, but last night it unlatched while I was driving across the street after leaving work and again today after starting it to leave for work. I hadn't even put the car in gear to back out from in front of the house and it popped loose. I've been trying for two years to figure this out and what to do to stop it. Any ideas? I need a simple fix because I'm nowhere near skilled enough to do what you did here.
Old 26 Dec 2013, 07:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Liftgate touchpad replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaH View Post
Any ideas? I need a simple fix because I'm nowhere near skilled enough to do what you did here.
Most would consider this 'mod' to be 'the simple fix',but I guess in your case the only 'simple fix' I can see is,to take it to the dealer,or a body shop,and pay a few hundred dollars........Most here equate 'simple',with DIY,and this only requires a little more skill than doing an oil,or air filter change.
There is one other option.....Find a friend or relative that has some skills,show them this thread,and see if they might be able to do it for a 12 pack,a good meal,or a few bucks.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyPT View Post
This small mod is on the outside of the car, but it seemed to fit better in the interior mods section, since it's not really a "pretty" mod.

If you have a 2005 or older cruiser, you have a lift handle on your rear emplem to open the hatch when it's unlocked. If you have a 2006 or newer, you have a "pressure pad" momentary electric switch on the back of the emblem, that unlatches the door, like the electric lock switches for the doors.

Unfortunately, they are crap. About a year after I bought my car, it started working intermittantly, the pad came loose from the emblem and started shoving itself up into the emblem, and eventually before it quit working at all, it would sometimes get stuck clicking over and over until I locked my doors, or shut the car off.

Coming loose fromthe emblem basically "Broke" one of the flat wire connections in the switch.

After a year of it not working, and not having time from work to take it to the dealer to replace it, I decided to replace it myself.

6 Auto stores couldn't or wouldn't help, but the youg geek fellow at the local Radio Shack helped me find a nice momentary switch. It's almost exactly like a power or reset switch on a computer.

I disassembled the emblem, cup, and rear interior of the hatch to start with. Now I know why Chrysler sells the whole bit as one piece. The whole bit is held on with three nuts, two locking washer bits, and a crapload of trim tape. The tape was the worst part.

After drilling a hole in the top center of the cup, I realised that the switch would be in the way of one of the bolts. So I covered it with a light coat of epoxy and vinyl tape, and moved the hole over to one side about an inch. (Right where the old wires went through, I should've taken the hint.)
After mounting the switch, soldiering the old wire connector on, and remounting with a lot of auto trim tape, it's back together and working great!

I wouldn't do this again I don't think, but then, I don't expect to have to. The new switch is decently heavy duty, out of the elements, and won't just "Break" or come loose. I have a feeling if I had Ma replace it, I'd probably be back ina couple years to have it replaced again!

Woot for mods done by the mechanically challenged!

Thank you so very much!
Old 23 Jan 2015, 07:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookefam View Post
This is a great MOD. I used the same Radio Shack momentary switch, only $3.99. I made the MOD simpler by not removing the entire emblem and cup part. I just removed the tailgate interior cover & drilled a 1/2" hole into the top center of the emblem cup from the inside of the car. So, no peeling off the emblem and replacing tape. Doing it this way leaves the old electronic latch circuitry, but who cares, it didn't work anyways.

This'd was helpful also!
I've had a heckuva time today. The alarm was unstoppable for a while.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 10:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Looked at a 2006 and a 2005 pt at our local dealership b4 finding my baby lol.. They both had the touchpad and both had to be opened w/ keys 😱
Old 07 Mar 2015, 11:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008ptcruzrtouring View Post
Looked at a 2006 and a 2005 pt at our local dealership b4 finding my baby lol.. They both had the touchpad and both had to be opened w/ keys 😱
In 2008 they removed the key latch...so a bypass or replace the touch pad is the only option.
Bishop_usmc likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)