PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Compass and Temp aftermarket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2003, 11:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Compass and Temp aftermarket?

Hi!

We just purchased a used 2002 PT Cruiser, (with 7k miles) and we love it! It has everything we could want, except the Instrument cluster that holds the compass and temperature. Is there any way to add this after market? I have seen in cars in the past, that the electronics for an option is already there, except for the switches that control it, so I'm hoping this would be something to do. I would prefer this rather than having a crappy ball type compass mounted on the dash.

Thanks!
Old 13 Oct 2003, 10:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you pull the driver's side "A" Pillar trim (the plastic piece that runs from the dash to the headliner at the driver's side of the windshield), you should see a wire harnes behind it that runs from under the dash to the headliner. This harness should have some of the following color wires: green, pink, orange, orange, white, black, blue, brown. red, white.

If they are present, there is a good chance the harness is there for the overhead console. From there , you would have to drop the headliner down enough to verify the connector and harness runs to the center of the roof, near the windshield - where there should be an obviuos area that the overhead snaps into.

You would have to get an overhead console (hopefully from a junk yard), and get some measurements on where to cut the headliner to install the overhead console. The cut-out would have to be fairly precise, as the console uses the headliner as half of it's mounting.

Unless you are ready to undertake a custom installation that will require a lot of prep, research and careful measuring, this may be a project to pass by.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 03:12 am
Regular Cruiser

First welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ride. What edition did you get? I know in the limited's it standard and I think the touring edition it's an optional so the wires might be there but not sure if the '02 base edition had that option. Good luck
ptcruizerman
daniel
Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the delay in the reply, life had gotten a hold of me.

To answer your question; we have a base edition 2002. It was an option in this year from what I have read online. Are there instructions anywhere to remove this driver side A pillar? Is it a clips you have to pry off, or something you need to unscrew?

Well, I just won this auction off of eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ME:B:EOAB:US:6

So it looks like I will be giving this a shot.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The wiring harness may be there, but don't know about magnetic direction detector and/or temperature sensor. Tmp sensor is small black "blob" the size of a pencil eraser behin the grille in front of the radiator on a support. No idea where direction sensor is.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Mar 2004, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

I believe I've read that the magnetic direction detector is inside the console unit from what I have read. Is the temp sensor on the passenger or drivers side of the car?

I'm thinking at the very least, I'll have compass, and inside temperature, but not outside temps, which I can live with. I'll just try and plug it in before tearing a hole in the ceiling.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by neps

I believe I've read that the magnetic direction detector is inside the console unit from what I have read. Is the temp sensor on the passenger or drivers side of the car?

I'm thinking at the very least, I'll have compass, and inside temperature, but not outside temps, which I can live with. I'll just try and plug it in before tearing a hole in the ceiling.
Close to center, on a metal vertical piece.
Sounds like you have a good plan.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 11:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

did you try to install the overhead yet? I am very interested in how that goes for you since I bought a new '03 base model (love it!) and I am trying to figure out wether the wiring is there as well for the console. Let me know how the install worked for you!!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 02:13 am
Dedicated Cruiser

davefrease, welcome to the forum!

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 22 Mar 2004, 11:27 am
Cool Cruiser

you can try www.ptdiy.com they may have an answer for you.[^]

flames&stripes by \"gator\" 2003 milan dragway \"chrysler classic\" winner