PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2006 Base Model Window Switch problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2010, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 Base Model Window Switch problem

Hello all, I'm new here and am attempting to repair a problem on my girlfriends 2006 base model PT cruiser.

For a while now, if you let the passenger window go all the way down it has gotten stuck and would not come back up unless you let the switch sit for 15-20min, so she has just not let the window go all the way down. Then 2 days ago the window was put all the way down and it just stopped working.

The switch feels like there is something wrong with it, it get stuck down on its own, kind of like an auto switch. However, the center of it still lights up when the headlights are on, which means there is still power to the switch? I am not sure how the switch is designed on this one so I'm not sure how its wired.

Have any of you had this problem before? I have found the replacement part for the switch on Ebay, but I just want to make sure that that is what I should be looking at, and not the window motor or something like that. Thanks!
Old 02 Jun 2010, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Base Model Window Switch problem

Sure sounds like the switch itself as you described it. Don't think they are designed to be taken apart so you might have to order a new one from the dealer or find it on eBay. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the ones you think of first.

Here's one on eBay for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-08...Q5fAccessories
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 04 Jun 2010, 01:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, she actually picked one up OEM from a dealer cus she wanted it a little faster. So tonight I replaced the master switch... and it still doesnt work.

I just spent the last hour or so taking the door apart and trouble shooting it... and I think it is a grounding problem on the up circut. Inside the door there are two wires leading into the harnes for the motor, one reads 12v when the switch is up and one reads 12v when the switch is down, however the contiunity to ground is lost on the when the switch is pressed down... So does anyone know how this circut is grounded? Just from looking it doesnt look like anything comes out of the motor, so I assume it is grounded in the assembly and logically I would think that the two would be able to have a common ground... but if there were a common ground this wouldnt be happening... any ideas?
Old 04 Jun 2010, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

does anyone know if the window regulators are interchangable? I figured out that i have to replace it, but all of the parts that I find online say that they are driver side specific and I have not found any that say that they are for the passenger side....
Old 04 Jun 2010, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They are kind of expensive but here's a place with both sides:

2001-2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Window Regulator

..and here's eBay

OEM CHRYSLER PT CRUISER WINDOW REGULATOR/MOTOR: eBay Motors (item 200390198690 end time Jun-29-10 06:12:55 PDT)

another place:

Window Regulator - Auto Parts Warehouse
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com