Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bmeador55
  • 1 Post By heifetz17
  • 1 Post By midcoastme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2010, 08:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Low Fuel Indicator Light

I have an 2005 Limited w/turbo, and first of all, about the best mpg I can get with this car is around 23. But the worst thing is, when the fuel indicator light comes on, you'd better be close to a gas station because it already sucking fumes. I have had the light come on and driven 10 miles and put almost 15 gallons in it. Is there a way to adjust when that light comes on?
dougs likes this.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 08:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Low Fuel Indicator Light

Welcome to the forum. No, there's no way to adjust when the light come on but let me give you some advise.

The fuel pump is in the bottom of the gas tank. The fuel itself not only keeps the pump cool but also lubricates it. There's been numerous cases where owners have had to replace the pump because the owners continuously ran the fuel low in the tank.

About your fuel mileage. if you look through the forum, you'll find that your 23mpg is above average. The sticker on the window says 19 city, 23 highway. Consider yourself lucky.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 18 Jul 2010, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I have heard that before. Usually I look for gas whenever the gauge says 1/4 so it's not really an issue. But once while traveling to Charleston SC, I was on that long stretch of I-26 where there isn't much gas and the light came on. I was really surprised when I filled it up and saw how much gas it took. REAL SURPRISED! Thanks for the reply.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 05:13 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Our fuel tanks hold 16 gallons of gas. If i'm doing this math right, you drove about another 10 miles after the low fuel light came on. Thats 10. Then you put in about 14.5 gallons of gas. That means there was approximately 1.5 gallons left in the tank. At 23 mpg that means that you had about 35 miles left before tank went dry, but when you add the 10 miles you drove after your light went on, you come up with the light coming on with at least 40 miles of fuel left in the tank. Sounds normal for any car to me.

Jerry
Old 19 Jul 2010, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Now you see there, I just learned something new today. I thought the manual said that the fuel capacity was 15 gallons. I think I feel a little bit better now!
Old 22 Jul 2010, 05:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The fuel capacity is 15 gallons, not 16. When the light comes on, you have approximately 2 gallons (a little less) remaining.
dougs likes this.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 05:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

My haynes manual said 16 gallons so I just checked the drivers manual and it says "15 gallons (approximate)". It sounds like its somewhere inbetween.

The manual also states " when the fuel level drops to about 1/8 tank the fuel symbol will light and a sinlgle chime will sound. The light will remain on until fuel is added. If the fuel level drops to approximately 1.0 gallon the fuel symbol will flash several times and the chime will sound several times." It sounds like a "I've told you once, this is my final warning" type set-up.

Jerry
Old 10 May 2014, 10:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All four of our PT's are different.

I filled my wife's PT this morning (the '04) because the light and chime had done their thing. It took 11.3 gallons (that's topping off, letting the nozzle shut off twice).
This car has always had a pessimistic fuel gauge, dropping quickly from full right down to the light coming on.

The convertible's gas needle will hang on the full mark until 75 miles or so before it starts to creep down to 1/2, then seems to drop quicker.

I always try to fill up at the 1/4 mark, but don't always hear about her car needing gas until it's yelling at her. My wife's been spoiled by not having to worry about filling up for the last 33 years.

I'm know doing okay with the '03 if I can reach 100 miles @ 3/4, 200 miles @ 1/2, and 300 miles @ 1/4.
dougs likes this.
2004 PT Limited (known as Max)-My Wife's Daily Driver
2005 PT GT Convertible (Lola - What she wants, she gets)
2010 PT Classic (Guinevere)-My Daily Driver