PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Added Homelink Module to my '01 Visor

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2010, 03:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Added Homelink Module to my '01 Visor

The other day I decided that I was sick of having an ugly garage door remote in my car and I decided that I would install a homelink visor module into the visor of my '01 PT Cruiser. I ordered the unit on eBay for ~$15 and received it a few days later. Here are some pictures and some simple recommendations for you if you want to do the same install:

The first thing I did was remove the visor from the car. You do this by removing the two screws attaching the visor to the roof. Pull the visor down slightly and disconnect the power connector.

Next I used my fingers to split the visor open. Do this very carefully or you will tear the fabric and not the adhesive. Once the visor is opened up I placed the unit into the visor and marked it's location.

To provide power to the unit I spliced into the power for the lighted mirror. The wire connecting the the little switch on the light is the negative wire and the other wire is your positive wire.

Next I had to carve through all but one very thin layer of the cardboard interior. This allows the switch cover to push into the visor enough to click into place.

I also cut holes in the fabric to allow the buttons to go through.

After that your are pretty much set. All that is left to do it re-seal the visor. To do this I used a 2-part 1-minute epoxy with a very small nozzle to allow me to apply the epoxy to one small section, seal it, and then move in to another small section. Here is the final product installed in the car.

If you have any questions, need more pictures or anything else post in this forum or PM me and I will do my best to help you out. I think it was well worth the $20 I have into it and it only took about an hour start to finish.

Last edited by reh8388; 05 Sep 2010 at 03:30 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2010, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Added Homelink Module to my '01 Visor

Nice looking job. you should be proud of yourself.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Sep 2010, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Very good job, looks like it was factory installed!
Old 14 Dec 2010, 09:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Just an update... The unit is still working perfectly and I love it. I am really glad I did this, it's so much nicer than having an ugly remote clipped onto your visor!
Old 14 Dec 2010, 10:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

very nice job!

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 15 Dec 2010, 03:39 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Added Homelink Module to my '01 Visor

Hey their reh8388,

First off, welcome to the Forum.

And secondly, way cool Mod, and clean work. Very well done indeed.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 15 Dec 2010, 10:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Added Homelink Module to my '01 Visor

Dittos here!
Very good job!
I've got a new loaded 2010 Couture, and that is the one thing that it doesn't have that my 2006 GT vert did have.
I miss it.
(I loved messin with my wife's mind by opening her garage door)
But, I simply use double-back mounting tape to put the garage door opener on the side of the center console, just under the edge of the driver's seat to conceal it a little.
No way I would as good a job on adding Homelink like you did!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 15 Dec 2010, 11:13 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Nice ,clean install.Looks factory installed.Great work.
Old 02 Jan 2012, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does your's just work your garage door opener or does it control any lights in the house? The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a way to turn on lights when I get home but don't know what kind of receiver is needed to interface with my factory homelink setup...
Old 02 Jan 2012, 06:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Does your's just work your garage door opener or does it control any lights in the house? The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a way to turn on lights when I get home but don't know what kind of receiver is needed to interface with my factory homelink setup...
I don't have it controlling any lights right now. I have thought about it but never did go through with it. The module I looked into getting is this one. There are better ones but this one was cheap enough that if it didn't work I wasn't going to be upset. This converts the RF signal of the Homelink system to Power Line Communication (PLC) that is used by most home automation systems. Different brands of home automation often times won't talk to each other though so once you start to build an automation system whatever brand you start with is pretty much what you're going to be stuck with. Hope this helps.